Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Disrespectful? They would have to know that someone considers a particular behavior disrespectful for them to actually be disrespectful. These were houseguests? How would they possibly know what your standards are? Isn't it also the duty of the host to make a guest feel comfortable? Very few households operate exactly the same. What goes at one place may not at another and vice versa. It is up to both parties to try to find a point between where everyone can get along and you come across as being very rigid. It is like being offended. If I hold a door open for a women and she is offended was I being offensive? Only if I somehow knew she would be offended and did it for that purpose. Being disrespectful requires intent. Intent requires knowledge of what the disrespected thinks is disrespectful. Your one man crusade to "educate" others children in what you consider to be the proper way you should be addressed makes you nothing but a bitter old man that probably doesn't get invited back willingly to social events unless your presence is somewhat required. At what point does you forcing your opinion upon someone else's children make you the disrespectful one? Running around with food in your house or jumping on furniture and things that might cause actual damage, yeah I get that, but getting miffed because they are not using your proper title? Lighten up King Francis.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm 71 and raised the same as the op. I have become more liberal with age and don't fight the first name thing. I always taught my 4 kids table manners and we always eat a meal like human beings. One thing I can't tolerate is wearing a hat at the table. I know I got that from my father, put it is something I will not tolerate. My kids knew it also, if one of their friends stayed for dinner, they told them to get rid of the hat.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'm 43 with 4 kids. My oldest is my 11 y/o son, then my 6 y/o twin daughters and my 18 month old daughter. Having my sons friends over to eat drives me up a wall!!! Their friends only like food that comes out of the freezer onto a cookie sheet and shoved in the oven or they want fast food. We don't do that food in my house. Secondly, when they do eat, it's like eating with animals, chewing with their mouth open, talking with food in their mouth, & slurping their drink.

Don't think for a second I don't correct them and follow up with threats to never have them at my table again. I won't stand for kids refusing to eat the meal I COOKED for them or put up with bad table manners.

We have family dinners every night at the table, as busy as we are it's probably the only time we all get to sit down and talk as a family about our day and what's going on in each others worlds. It's the best time of the day IMO.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I could have never even gone to the OP invite.
Shirt and tie wear is for weddings.
Other than that I wear shorts and a tshirt most every day in the summer.
Living life comfortable is a priority of mine.
When I die I sure hope everyone who shows up before I get tossed in the oven shows up in thier every day attire.
I hate having to dress up to act like I'm someone the I'm not.
Dressed up to me would be a clean new pair of blue jeans and a polo shirt.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
As with the OP My daddy made sure we all sat down at kitchen table to eat as a family! He was served first then the kids got to eat! Now if you finish you didn't get up to leave till he was finish eating! Also he made sure you eat your beans!
same here...and when you were done eating, you damn well better ask
"can I please be excused "

·
Smart Ass Conservative
100,714 Posts
Way to stand up for the old school ways there was nothing wrong with them . Few others would have done that . People often have no idea how ignorant they are .

·
Registered
6,179 Posts

The basics, you fucking savages!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I am also a geezer age 75. We came from a different time. People don't behave like we did. I doubt most of them have not been to a formal sit down dinner like you describe. We could go play all day and just needed to be back by dinner. Parents today raise their kids with different values. I wonder how many actually sit down at a dining table together for meals?

·
Registered
20,800 Posts
The OP stated they KNEW it was formal and required a tie and a jacket I believe.

if the "guests" didn't have a clue as to what they meant, they should have asked or researched it.

Or, if they didn't want to bother asking or researching it, then they simply should have opt'ed out from attending.

You're a dolt if you are specifically told it is jacket and tie, and you still show up in a T-shirt , Jeans and sneakers.

I don't care if you know about the different fork deal. But, No jacket and tie, when you are told jacket and tie, is disrespectful and the sign of an ass.

·
Cheesesteakaholic
3,075 Posts
1. Who holds a dinner and serves during a football game at this stage of the season?
2. Who in the hell holds a "semi-formal" dinner at home for just a few people?
3. I wouldn't have shown up in the first place. OP sounds a little stuffy.
4. I agree, manners have dissipated more and more with each generation.
4A - By that same token OP would be part of the latest generations partially responsible for the slide in manners.
5. You ain't eating in front of no fucking TV in my house... with the sole exception of a football game being on... in which case you'r expected to eat in front of the TV and we all get loud, etc.
6. Can't be mad at society in general for being dipshits unless you want to have a heart attack or stroke over stuff you can't control.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
OP, I want you to sing this.

"I feel pretty........Oh! so pretty..and witty.. and GAAAAAYYYYY!"

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well, you asked for it, so here goes nothin'. Pics of the wifes saggy old bags, or gtfo, you snooty cocksucker.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Well, you asked for it, so here goes nothin'. Pics of the wifes saggy old bags, or gtfo, you snooty cocksucker.
Maybe its all this pot smoke floating around at my dinner party.......but, damn that made me laugh!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I'm very disappointed with all the uncultured swine in this thread! ?

The people that come to my estate, once they cross through the front gates entering the drive into the garden area, instantly know better than to act like sewer rats. No need to tell them to act with a little class.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm 43 with 4 kids. My oldest is my 11 y/o son, then my 6 y/o twin daughters and my 18 month old daughter. Having my sons friends over to eat drives me up a wall!!! Their friends only like food that comes out of the freezer onto a cookie sheet and shoved in the oven or they want fast food. We don't do that food in my house. Secondly, when they do eat, it's like eating with animals, chewing with their mouth open, talking with food in their mouth, & slurping their drink.

Don't think for a second I don't correct them and follow up with threats to never have them at my table again. I won't stand for kids refusing to eat the meal I COOKED for them or put up with bad table manners.

We have family dinners every night at the table, as busy as we are it's probably the only time we all get to sit down and talk as a family about our day and what's going on in each others worlds. It's the best time of the day IMO.
I would not be able to put up with those kids. Smacking food makes me wanna smack some body’s mouth.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts