Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start on my rant, I just want to say, I really think people, in general, suck. The best thing that could happen to this rock, we live on, is for all the humans, to just cease to exist.

Now, on the my rant.
I'm 73 and of an era when kids were taught manners and respect. It would have never occurred to me to call an adult by their first name. It was Miss, Mrs., Mr.. Sir, mam. Hell, I never ever called my mother, father, Grand mothers, Grand fathers, aunts uncles,by their first names. Even in my 40s-50s. Our kids and grand kids would never disrespect us by calling us by our first names. When we visit others or have people to our home, we are constantly telling the children that we are to be addressed as Mr. "Last name" of Mrs. "last name.
Now on to dinner manners and etiquette. It has become quit obvious, that the majority of meals, by most, are grabbed and eaten in front of tvs, usually in their own rooms. We've found that most adults and their children have no idea as how to act at even a relaxed sit down dinner, with real plates and silverware. And NO clue when it comes to a formal setting. Example: We had 4 couples ranging from late 20s to late 40s (well educated people) to our home, for a somewhat formal dinner. Full place setting, with fine china, real silver cutlery. Fine crystal stemware. They were asked to ware at least a jacket and tie. one guy showed up with a tee shirt, jeans and sneakers. But, he did have a jean jacket. I brought the first coarse and we could tell that no one knew what fork to use. When I brought out the main dish, two of the men said' Hey turn on the game and started to pick their plates up. I stood up pointed to the door. My wife opened the door and they left.
You know, it's a shame, that we live a world, where most have no idea what an aperitif is or a cordial. And most have no idea the difference between Liqueurs and liquors. You don't put your elbows on the table and you don't surround your plate with one arm, while hovering over it. I guess it's just not important, anymore, to have manners and know proper etiquette.

End of rant.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't think I was raised in a disrespectful way, but I have no idea the "proper" way to eat a fancy meal like that.. Hell I would probably feel uncomfortable to be honest... Haha, It is just a different time now.

·
Former RJ instigator
39,115 Posts
Manners and etiquette went out the window decades ago, it started with the key latch kids and two person incomes necessary to make ends meet.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Op sounds like a ton of fun. I agree getting up from the table to watch tv was pretty tacky for your dinner quests to do.But I would not have kicked my friends out of my house for doing it

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Op sounds like a ton of fun. I agree getting up from the table to watch tv was pretty tacky for your dinner quests to do.But I would not have kicked my friends out of my house for doing it
They weren't friends, they were house guests.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I can agree with your rant up to the formal dinner . without knowing your relationship with your guests or the what the occasion was I can't get what should of been expected . l have never been fond of formal dinners . get up to turn the game on lol . if it was a big game I would have just stayed home .

·
Busy being a cunt
29,229 Posts
It's nice to take a trip down "Memory Lane" and remember how things were, but times change.....Try to keep up old timer ?

Remember back when you never had a "Forum" to groan on? Enjoy.................... ?

·
Registered
35,610 Posts
I can agree with your rant up to the formal dinner . without knowing your relationship with your guests or the what the occasion was I can't get what should of been expected . l have never been fond of formal dinners . get up to turn the game on lol . if it was a big game I would have just stayed home .
Unless there was some specific event scheduled that warranted a formal dinner, none of what was posted in the OP's rant would have applied to me - because I wouldn't have shown up to begin with. And to stand up and throw 'house guests' out over asking to turn on the football game is....well, I might have considered a Roy D. Mercer response. Look him up if you don't know who RDM is.

I'm nearly as old as the host; I too miss the courtesy and respect that was a product of the environment I was raised in but I'm also flexible enough to understand that people 20-40 years old aren't going to wear coats and ties and behave as if they were at a formal White House setting - at someone's house dinner hosted by two people that consider anyone not as prim and proper as they to be pieces of disrespectful shit. Glad I missed it; put your china away, bring me a pizza and turn on the Super Bowl. I'll be in my tennis shoes, jeans and my favorite old Star Wars t-shirt.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,670 Posts
Sorry but I had to laugh at the "we don't surround the plate with one arm and hover over it" lmfao

Any you're wrong about people under 40 not knowing how to act. I was raised in the South with manners and all that. I know how to act at a formal dinner. We used to have 4 or 5/year from the time I was born til I was 30-something. My grandmother wouldn't put up with bullshit then and she still won't today. Fine China, polished SILVERWARE, crystal, salad forks, dessert forks, the whole thing. But then, I'm right on the edge of that group, 38 and a half lol

OK so we still have dinners every year, I just don't go anymore. After my daughter passed away, I couldn't deal with the kids so I stopped going.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,670 Posts
Unless there was some specific event scheduled that warranted a formal dinner, none of what was posted in the OP's rant would have applied to me - because I wouldn't have shown up to begin with. And to stand up and throw 'house guests' out over asking to turn on the football game is....well, I might have considered a Roy D. Mercer response. Look him up if you don't know who RDM is.

I'm nearly as old as the host; I too miss the courtesy and respect that was a product of the environment I was raised in but I'm also flexible enough to understand that people 20-40 years old aren't going to wear coats and ties and behave as if they were at a formal White House setting - at someone's house dinner hosted by two people that consider anyone not as prim and proper as they to be pieces of disrespectful shit. Glad I missed it; put your china away, bring me a pizza and turn on the Super Bowl. I'll be in my tennis shoes, jeans and my favorite old Star Wars t-shirt.

He didn't throw them out. He gave them a choice and they chose to leave.

That's a whole different ballgame.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,670 Posts
Huh? Can't get what should've been expected? They were fully aware it was a formal dinner. Anyone who knows what formal dinner means knows EXACTLY what to expect. Wtf bro.

Do you not know what that is, also?

·
Registered
35,610 Posts
^^^^^ Has this turned into the "old cunts" memorabilia thread? ?
Watch it, cunt.... :p
I try to act my age but I have just as much fun with - and I can totally relate to - people half my age or less. Never was a hoity-toity type even when formal was more in style. You can have good manners, be respecftul yet casual at the same time - and that's how I roll.

I'm reminded of this song....

·
Registered
35,610 Posts
He didn't throw them out. He gave them a choice and they chose to leave.

That's a whole different ballgame.
He damn sure did; when they got up to go watch the game, he pointed to the door and his wife opened it. That means LEAVE. And the dinner was "somewhat formal", and I'm surprised anyone showed up for a "somewhat formal" dinner after they were asked to wear "AT LEAST" a jacket and tie. I suppose that means coat and tie acceptable, but I'd really prefer you wear a tux.

I'm sorry...it's his house, his dinner and no one has the right to tell him how to conduct himself at his own affair...but the first time someone ridicules me for using a short-tined fork instead of a long-tined one, based upon the the makeup of the first course - I'm gone. The wife wouldn't have even needed to get up to open the door.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts