Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The marks not only my first big block Chevrolet engine, but my first powerplant with a blower. It came about a little over a year ago when I made a pass in a buddy's '67 Camaro with a 472 BBC and a F2 Procharger. An 1/8-mile pass of 5.50 at 130 mph was enough to convince me, and I starting thinking about a blow-through carb'd build.
After sitting down to talk specifics with my good friend and engine builder, he mentioned doing up a more budget friendly build (stock GM block versus aftermarket, of the shelf pistons, cast AFR heads versus full-CNC, etc.).
Now I'm not pretending this is a budget build like grabbing a junkyard engine, throwing a bunch of parts at it and making a few dyno pulls and calling it done. This is a build where we'll use parts that can handle the abuse, because it will see both the engine dyno and the chassis dyno, and get plenty of track and street abuse, all on 93 octane pump gas.

The first installment landed in the March issue, viewable here:
www.nmcadigital.com/cat/fsc/issues/2012/03/
Coverage starts on page 78.

Any feedback is welcome, and I hope to have it in the car making laps by fall of this year. :p

Derek

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
I am sure if your goals are 900 hp that alot of the factory stuff will be fine . Just beware of the small stuff that can come back and bite you like using the standard off the shelf piston pins that come with the SRP or JE pistons along with alot of other little things . Do your homework and dont take everything that is done in this build as gospel . This forum is a good place to start your research as alot of the problems that you will run into someone probably already made a thread about it . Not trying to be negative just trying to say you cant believe everything that you read . Good luck with your build !

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No negativity taken at all. Even though my builder has the recent 472 BBC F2 to look at for a little insight, I'm not expecting a 100% smooth ride. I consider myself more a racer than a writer, so it's my chance to relay what can happen, good or bad. I've been told about expected life and horsepower thresholds of certain parts, and we'll see how things hold up through the abuse :smt079

I'm not trying to write a book about how to build it, but rather give some insight into my learning and fun with it, as well as break the mold since some magazine engine builds never see the track or street once the dyno results are in.

I'll try to post up some photos of the build shortly.

Derek

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
Well you have the correct attitude going into the build so you should do well . It is people that have unrealistic expectations that tend to get themselves into trouble with these types of builds . I will be interseted to see how things shape up for you and when you have a question this is probably the best forum to ask .

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The trunk packed with speed goodies for the build

A lonely factory big block

A group shot before getting started

The block back from machining, cleaned up, painted and ready for internals

Checking the Eagle crank

SRP Pistons and pins

The pistons and Eagle rods assembled and ready

Ready to tap the last one in

Checking rod cap clearance

Getting the Comp Cams solid roller ready to go in

Cam and timing chain installed

Some of the ARP hardware and the Moroso oil pump in blurry sight

Moroso's pump, pick-up and windage tray in place, along with a Fel Pro 1-piece gasket

A Moroso pan and oil filter finished off part one

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're using AFR 325cc cylinder heads with the CNC chamber option; Comp Cams roller rockers and pushrods; Edelbrock victor 454-R intake; an 850 double pumper carb; Procharger D-1SC with a 3.7 inch pulley (aiming for 10-12 lbs of boost) and one of their new competition carb bonnets.

Derek

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
900 is gonna be a cake walk. Looks cool!

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't complain a bit if she makes more than 900 ponies; just want to have realistic goals. I know once it goes into my '70 Nova (and hopefully runs mid 9s at what should be a 3800 pound raceweight w/ driver), I'll likely start thinking about making more power. But I want to start somewhere and learn for at least a year before making any serious changes (already have a few ideas on things to change and report what power differences you get for the $).

Derek

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The second installment of the build is in the May issue, available at local speed shops and online viewable here:
www.nmcadigital.com/cat/fsc/issues/2012/05/
Coverage starts on page 36.

I'll try to post up some additional photos soon!

Derek

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Better make sure you look closely at everything from the engine back...,or you will destroy stuff trust me! Saw the latest FSC, nice write up. I gotta admit though using the stamped steel stock timing cover seems silly to me to save $20....especially when you put a $40 set of ARP stainless bolts on it.

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Better make sure you look closely at everything from the engine back...,or you will destroy stuff trust me! Saw the latest FSC, nice write up. I gotta admit though using the stamped steel stock timing cover seems silly to me to save $20....especially when you put a $40 set of ARP stainless bolts on it.
There is a decently stout TH400 for the transmission right now, and a 12 bolt with all Strange 33-spline internals and a girdle. We figure the TH400 could prove a stumbling block for either too much gearing for off the line and/or could break. Thw powerglide discussion has been had a few times...

On the timing cover, it was a $5 deal and although we could have used a number of aluminum covers (at likely $20-40 more), they would possibly require clearancing for the cam button (which the stock cover didn't). The ARP stuff was purchased in a total kit, so I'm not sure how much just the timing cover kit would have been.

Again, I welcome the feedback, and I know some items could bring a "why did they do this?" response.

Derek

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
There is a decently stout TH400 for the transmission right now, and a 12 bolt with all Strange 33-spline internals and a girdle. We figure the TH400 could prove a stumbling block for either too much gearing for off the line and/or could break. Thw powerglide discussion has been had a few times...

On the timing cover, it was a $5 deal and although we could have used a number of aluminum covers (at likely $20-40 more), they would possibly require clearancing for the cam button (which the stock cover didn't). The ARP stuff was purchased in a total kit, so I'm not sure how much just the timing cover kit would have been.

Again, I welcome the feedback, and I know some items could bring a "why did they do this?" response.

Derek
Right or wrong I appreciate your buildup, every one I read about I try to tuck into my "memorybanks". You never know when you might need some information somewhere you read about. Also thanks for putting it up here, for us to read the article, I have not seen that magazine in my town yet, for some reason. I'm looking forward to the rest of the buildup, and hopefully dragstrip tests?

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It will definitely see the strip, and I'll report on what the results are from the beginning.

Derek

·
It weighs how much????
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Denny,

Knowing how your ear stays to the ground on racing developments, if I was even considering going to the racetrack and didn't tell anyone, something tells me you would be there anyway!!! ;)
I'll be sure to keep ya in mind when she goes to the track.

Derek

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would have used the better metal of the JE pistons for a blower engine. I would also reconsider your rationale for using a stock timing cover.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts