Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Fastest N2O with sbf AFR 225

13K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  swampn 
#1 ·
How fast have you been with a AFR 225 N2O only.

#7 ·
My 334" with 225's with 100hp from a Big Shot plate went 5.81 @ 119 with only a 1.41 short time (Tires were going away).. Put the 200hp tune in it but was a waste of time. We'll see how it runs this spring with good rubber and the 2'nd kit. Car weighs 3120 with me in it. Also going to try to get it down to 2900 and see what that does for us. Would love to run a 5.30 class but thats prolly pushin it with this tiny motor..lol

#9 ·
That head is better than i thought. How did they get such a bad rap? 5.00 is getting with it for stock valve placement!! I don't give a shit who's box they came out of! I would like to know who worked on them does anyone know?

#11 ·
Considering Ronnie is an Engine builder I would guess he did. However I do know that he used to use a guy by the name of Oscar down in Miami to do a lot of port work for him. You could always call and ask. Call Mustang Specialties in Fort Lauderdale and ask for Ronnie.

There are quite a few other guys out there making miracles happen on similiar heads to the AFR 225. Look at Enrique Perez (The Joker on here) has a set of "true out of the box" Dart 230's and has been 5.19. I know its not an 5.0X, but its still getting it done.

#12 ·
Yea I have a set of afr 225'S and a brand new set of TFS R 235 heads. But everyone puts wieght on you for using a TFS R head so i was think about porting the AFR 225 and just selling the R heads. What do you think about that.

#13 ·
But the weight added is minimal at most, it is not extreme. You have the ability to make a lot more power with the high ports. I also think you are putting to much emphasis in the head for the ET, the perfect cam for the cylinder head plays a major role. You can have 2 completely identical motors and just have a different cam, and it changes the whole combination. Keep in mind that the guys putting up eye popping numbers with these heads have had the same combo's for 5+ years. That is a massive amount of data and knowledge to gain not only on the motor but the chassis of the car as well. All of these guys have 1.20 and better short times on a small tire. Also your ET's are only going to progress as your race program progresses.

IMHO the 235 is a much better head and based on previous posts from you, I assume your looking to run X275 with this particular combination. Which means you are not penalized based on either head you decide to use for this combination, so I would choose the head with the higher performance potential.

#16 ·
The heads come from AFR CNC'd. He bought the same heads that are available to ANYONE......Ronnie did NO additional work to them.....His number is 954-942-5202 extension 2# at Mustang Specialties, in case anyone needs to verify!!!!!!
I will be contacting him. Thanks

#20 ·
Anyone care to share Ronnie's cam numbers? That must be a miracle cam. Did you say that was on a 2 stage plate system? Thats crazy!
It's a hydraulic roller Z cam with solid roller lifters LOL...

#19 · (Edited)
I can assure you will not get the cam numbers. ronnie built my 427 with afr 205's my car went 5.27 on 1 kit on 275's @ 3150# . The afr's were out of the box with valves and springs. Titanium retaniers were the only upgrade. we replaced the valve springs after 1 season we did go too a better spring. Motor is for sale at ronnies shop if any one needs a motor. I think ronnie will go into the 4's this year as he has not done much testing with both kits turned on.

#24 ·
Now that's hauling ass with this combo! Not saying you didn't do it but you just don't see an afr 205 going that fast. Did you use 10 lbs of nitrous on that pass? Lol

#26 ·
Yea I don't know what to think anymore! If he is doing that with that setup he is a bad man. It was good talking to him real nice guy. And his secret is safe with me. Lol

#35 ·
AFR 225's are a very underrated head! We ran them on Evans car for years! with nitrous and with a blower back in NMRA drag radial. Ran 8.56 on nitrous (on BFG's) and 8.12 @ 175 with F1R.

#36 ·
Yea i am begining to think they are vary underrated myself. We will see soon i am going to run them and see what i can do. ANd then i'm going to put the R heads i have on it and see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.