Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i only have til tomorrow afternoon to get this done, then i'm off to missouri to go to work again. i've done a couple clutches on gm vehicles, but never done a ford. what needs to be pulled apart, what order, what snags might i run into, any tricks or shortcuts, etc.? is this a huge pain in the ass for a first timer?

·
Car ramrod
10,130 Posts
Easy as pie. I'm on my phone If not I'd give you a small write up. 2-3 hour job. With time for a shitter break

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bro...i looked at the exploded view(no pun, lol) on chilton's online, and the way the lever enters the bellhousing and engages the throwout doesn't make sense to me. i guess it won't either til i pull it apart....i'm just afraid i'll get stuck on something & i won't make it to work on time. plus it's a 6-7 hour drive on a fresh clutch installed by a ford invalid....lol

·
Registered
868 Posts
Does the clutch pedal feel stiff as if it is actually moving something?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Either way that's the simplest clutch job around after you do enough of them.

If doing it on the ground put the rear of the car up on some stands or block it up somehow to give you room to work on it.
Get the exhaust out of the way, not sure how its ran on a 4cyl.
4 12mm 12 point bolt on the drive shaft, speedo cable, and all wiring on tranny. Throw some gloves on the tranny output shaft or tape a rag to it so it doesn't leak everywhere when coming out
Pull the console apart inside and remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter on
Tranny crossmember, and mount bolts
Remove the 4 bolts holding the tranny to the bell housing slide it out and out of the way.
Pop off the bellhousing bolts, and you're halfway there.
Pull off pressure plate, and clutch. Then repeat.

Tranny is light enough to pull out no problem by hand, but going in I use the jack for extra stability.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS SECURELY ON THE STANDS OR BLOCKS BEFORE GOING UNDER IT!

·
Registered
868 Posts
no, it's loose & just flops back & forth. the linkage on the bellhousing is moving, but it's just lax, like it's connected to nothing.
Might just be the pivot or the thowout bearing might've came apart. You'll be able to see real quick when the tranny is out.

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either way that's the simplest clutch job around after you do enough of them.

If doing it on the ground put the rear of the car up on some stands or block it up somehow to give you room to work on it.
Get the exhaust out of the way, not sure how its ran on a 4cyl.
4 12mm 12 point bolt on the drive shaft, speedo cable, and all wiring on tranny. Throw some gloves on the tranny output shaft or tape a rag to it so it doesn't leak everywhere when coming out
Pull the console apart inside and remove the 4 bolts holding the shifter on
Tranny crossmember, and mount bolts
Remove the 4 bolts holding the tranny to the bell housing slide it out and out of the way.
Pop off the bellhousing bolts, and you're halfway there.
Pull off pressure plate, and clutch. Then repeat.

Tranny is light enough to pull out no problem by hand, but going in I use the jack for extra stability.

MAKE SURE THE CAR IS SECURELY ON THE STANDS OR BLOCKS BEFORE GOING UNDER IT!
that's what i wanted to hear, thank you....not sure if the exhaust is gonna be an issue, i'll have to peek at it again. thank you sir :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts