Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a FAST crank trigger kit on a vehicle with a 7531 box. Came with a pigtail to plug the sensor right into the MSD harness. No fire. Can plug the harness into the dist and fires right up. So that should narrow it down to the pickup I think. I've got the pickup darn near centered and have had the gap from .030-.060 with no luck. We had powdercoated the pickup mount so I tried externally jumpering a ground to see if that could be an issue with no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
we have swapped them around and still no fire. I even went out and bought a new pick up and still no luck.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
which wire color do you have the red wire going to on the MSD box???
Red/positive.:D Sorry.:D The harness has a green and violet wire and so does the FAST pigtail. I even swapped the pins to flip the polarity with no luck. Even though that shouldnt matter to it actually working I think, only timing and stability. Absolutely no effort to fire doing everything. Checked the pigtail for a wire break, flipped pins, external grounding, new sensor, tried different gaps from .030-.060. The pickup it REAL close to center on the wheel maybe .040 off center at most. I really wondered if there was a pigatil to snip on the box or a function to switch in the box to get it to work since the FAST works backwards of MSD's.
Thanks!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Red/positive.:D Sorry.:D The harness has a green and violet wire and so does the FAST pigtail. I even swapped the pins to flip the polarity with no luck. Even though that shouldnt matter to it actually working I think, only timing and stability. Absolutely no effort to fire doing everything. Checked the pigtail for a wire break, flipped pins, external grounding, new sensor, tried different gaps from .030-.060. The pickup it REAL close to center on the wheel maybe .040 off center at most. I really wondered if there was a pigatil to snip on the box or a function to switch in the box to get it to work since the FAST works backwards of MSD's.
Thanks!
It should matter as they both provide a IPU type signal. I do know that when. The engineers at fast were designing this unit, they had a 7al box on one of their spntron engines to measure timing values at every rpm. JW

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It should matter as they both provide a IPU type signal. I do know that when. The engineers at fast were designing this unit, they had a 7al box on one of their spntron engines to measure timing values at every rpm. JW
So what do ya think it could be? We're pretty lost and so are all the engineers and tech's.
Thanks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Jake / Whitelightning, make sure that nothing is near the same OD size as the crank trigger wheel, such as balancer / crank pulley for the blower. If so, this will cause a solid signal and the sensor will not be triggered from the trigger wheel. JW

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Jake / Whitelightning, make sure that nothing is near the same OD size as the crank trigger wheel, such as balancer / crank pulley for the blower. If so, this will cause a solid signal and the sensor will not be triggered from the trigger wheel. JW

Thank you, I think your on to something.:D
The closest things would the balancer and blower pulley which are 8" diameter to match the wheels smaller OD(minus teeth diameter) that its supposed to be designed for. I even machined the back teeth off the pulley to be sure. At this point I'd say this is the case-. The sensor is "too sensitive" and cant deal with a mass of material. The sensor can only deal with the very thin smaller OD of its own wheel. Therefore I feel they need to redo a wheel that 9" diameter for the 8" diameter balancer and so on or extend the tbas ont he wheel and shim the pickup back. I put a ton of machining in all this blower drive stuff to use this setup and now it wont work. We cant risk another spark problem and knock another head off the engine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thank you, I think your on to something.:D
The closest things would the balancer and blower pulley which are 8" diameter to match the wheels smaller OD(minus teeth diameter) that its supposed to be designed for. I even machined the back teeth off the pulley to be sure. At this point I'd say this is the case-. The sensor is "too sensitive" and cant deal with a mass of material. The sensor can only deal with the very thin smaller OD of its own wheel. Therefore I feel they need to redo a wheel that 9" diameter for the 8" diameter balancer and so on or extend the tbas ont he wheel and shim the pickup back. I put a ton of machining in all this blower drive stuff to use this setup and now it wont work. We cant risk another spark problem and knock another head off the engine.
I believe any sensor that is that close would do the same as far as seeing a constant signal from the blower pulley/balancer. Here is a trick that you could do to resolve this issue and still use your wheel. Take the crank trigger wheel, and on each tab, put a couple of weld beads on each "tab" to extend it out past the blower pulley/balancer. If you can get it above the pulley say .125 it should work fine. Just a thought, later JW

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Jake is that blower pulley really made out of steel?

I would have thought anything that big on a race car would be aluminum.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jake is that blower pulley really made out of steel?

I would have thought anything that big on a race car would be aluminum.

No Sir, its aluminum.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sound like talking to Jake and some of the tech guys from FAST that they are going to send a engineer up to find and fix the problem. Will keep you guys posted on what happends next.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts