Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally cook a 1.5 to 1.75 lb flank steak medium rare marinated in onion, vegetable oil, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and lime juice. This is a good fajita recipe (got it from emeril lagasse). Just wondering how everyone else prepared and cooked their fajitas? Looking for different ideas.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
We make fajitas out of almost anything. Chicken, Ribeye, Sirloin, whatever! I've even had them made with Ostrich! As long as they are marinated with plenty of garlic and black pepper. I gots to have some homemade Guacamole on mine! Sauteed onions and peppers and I'm good to go! Learn to make your own tortillas, well worth the effort unless you have a good source for fresh made already.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
I buy the vacuum packed pre-marinated ones. So simple and good!

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
Definitely flank steak for authentic fajitas. I trim the meat and then tenderize some (since the meat's fairly tough). Submerge the meat in Italian dressing, lime, onion, salt, and pepper...Let it marinate overnight in the fridge.

I cook it more like medium well. Sauté some onions and bell peppers and serve in lightly buttered flour tortillas barely browned in a cast-iron skillet... :smt118

·
Registered
753 Posts
Marinate the meat in margarine and lemon juice.
Mix Paprika , salt, pepper, onion powder. It is like Cajun seasoning without the cayenne. It is sold as soul food seasoning.
Pull it out of the marinade and season.

Heat your Iron skillet till all of the fire alarms go off and put it in.

I use Flank or Skirt.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Definitely flank steak for authentic fajitas. I trim the meat and then tenderize some (since the meat's fairly tough). Submerge the meat in Italian dressing, lime, onion, salt, and pepper...Let it marinate overnight in the fridge.

I cook it more like medium well. Sauté some onions and bell peppers and serve in lightly buttered flour tortillas barely browned in a cast-iron skillet... :smt118
Actually, authentic would be skirt steak, cooked over Mesquite, and does not involve Italian dressing. Salt, pepper and lime juice is the authentic method.

Are flank steak and skirt steak the same cut of meat?

No, but they come from the same general area of the cow — the flank or area between the ribs and hip.
The skirt steak is the diaphragm muscle. It is a long, flat piece of meat, with a tendency toward toughness. But it has good flavor. It can be grilled or pan fried quickly with good results. Another traditional method is to stuff it, roll it, and braise it. In many areas of the country (Texas, for example) skirt steak is the only cut to be used when making "real" fajitas.
The flank steak is the traditional cut used for London Broil. It is long, thin, and full of tough connective tissue. It is usually marinated before being broiled or grilled whole. Because it is tough, you usually slice it thinly on a diagonal across the grain to sever the tough fibers and make the flavorful steak chewable.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,211 Posts
I cheat,
I use Hormel's pre-cooked steak strips, just toss-em in a hot skillet with a couple tablespoon olive oil, bell peppers, onions, fresh garlic, a few maters, cumin, red pepper, salt & pepper to taste.

Its a quick, easy and ready in 10 mins flat.

Chow, Cp

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
Actually, authentic would be skirt steak, cooked over Mesquite, and does not involve Italian dressing. Salt, pepper and lime juice is the authentic method.
Sure, Italian dressing is not a "Mexican" cuisine, but it works well as long as it's not excessive. What part of "Tejas" are you from? RGV here.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I go the mexican meat market around the corner where they dont speak english. I know enough spanish to get my meat and get the fuck out. Best shit on earth! La Michocana here in Houston. $4/lb The meat is blood red from the thick marinade.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
These are my fajita tacos. Simple a damn good!

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Sure, Italian dressing is not a "Mexican" cuisine, but it works well as long as it's not excessive. What part of "Tejas" are you from? RGV here.
I don't like the vinegar. I'm from West Texas. I don't know what RGV means?

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
How long do you guys marinade skirt steak, and how do you marinade it? Do you use just lime juice or do you add in water or oil or anything?
As long as you have time for. 24 hours if you can. Use lime juice(don't go overboard), canola oil, salt, course ground black pepper, and I like a good kick of fresh garlic. Grill it like you would a steak, hot and fast to about medium. Let rest for 15 minutes or so. Slice thinly across the grain. Adding some unseasoned meat tenderizer can help. I like green bell peppers and Texas 1015 sweet onions sauteed in canola oil or olive oil. I like them best with Guacamole, or sliced avocados, and a little salsa(or fresh tomatoes), cheese, and sour cream. All optional of course.

Grocery stores here sell skirt steak already marinating in fajita seasoning. They are really good, and you don't have to mess with marinating.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Instead of green bell pepper you should try roasted poblano's. IMO they have much more flavor. Also, cook the onion on the grill (gives them a great flavor and taste).

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Instead of green bell pepper you should try roasted poblano's. IMO they have much more flavor. Also, cook the onion on the grill (gives them a great flavor and taste).
I love pablano's. Sounds good!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I go the mexican meat market around the corner where they dont speak english. I know enough spanish to get my meat and get the fuck out. Best shit on earth! La Michocana here in Houston. $4/lb The meat is blood red from the thick marinade.

LOL!!! When I worked down there, I was invited to a back yard barbecue. We went to that place (I think) to get a goat. This huge mexican came out of the back with a large knife, cut the goats throat, and caught the blood in a pan. I asked what he was going to do with it, and his reply was "make blood pie"!!!

I was glad when we left! The goat was very good & I don't think I"ve ever been as fucked up since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts