Yellow Bullet Forums banner

12461 - 12480 of 13250 Posts

·
Long Live The King
98,424 Posts
Dec 26 1965, Bob Hope, looks like wood to me. All I can go on is what Dad mentioned about the F4 ripping up the teak wood with their tail hooks when landing. He also mentioned being in port (Guam?) and the deck getting replaced. Another thing he mentioned is they were supposed to off load the nukes before sailing in Sea of China or Japan. They lied about off loading them :)

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/021444.jpg

If you have a link with more info, I'd gladly appreciate it.
Talked with my Uncle today. When he first started flying the F9 Panther he landed on several wood flight decks. In the F8 and F4 he only landed them on the hardened steel decks, but he said," ... that doesn't mean there wasn't a wood flight deck or two still in service. There could have been"

As far as the Nukes go ... " Japan kind of had an aversion to Nukes"

There were some ports (around the world) that the Navy couldn't dock a Nuke powered ship. There were other ports that we had an agreement to keep Nuke weapons out of. That policy ended up being about like " don't ask, don't tell"

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,208 Posts
Talked with my Uncle today. When he first started flying the F9 Panther he landed on several wood flight decks. In the F8 and F4 he only landed them on the hardened steel decks, but he said," ... that doesn't mean there wasn't a wood flight deck or two still in service. There could have been"

As far as the Nukes go ... " Japan kind of had an aversion to Nukes"

There were some ports (around the world) that the Navy couldn't dock a Nuke powered ship. There were other ports that we had an agreement to keep Nuke weapons out of. That policy ended up being about like " don't ask, don't tell"
Thanks.
Dad said F4 Phantoms landing on his boat, Tico, was a last ditch effort to save the plane from a salty resting place. It tore up the wood deck, but a plane was saved in the end. Pilot didn't get wet either. From reading others posts, it was the South China Sea, they weren't supposed to take nukes into on the carrier....but they did.

Maybe I can find Dad's copy of this, he added some notes and stored some pics in it.

Somewhere there is also a 1978 Jane's Fighting Ships that Mom got on clearance, but I haven't found it yet. With Dad's passing 25+ years ago, Mom 2 years ago, so much history to go through in this house I grew up in.

·
Idiot Savant
163,076 Posts
Thanks.
Dad said F4 Phantoms landing on his boat, Tico, was a last ditch effort to save the plane from a salty resting place. It tore up the wood deck, but a plane was saved in the end. Pilot didn't get wet either. From reading others posts, it was the South China Sea, they weren't supposed to take nukes into on the carrier....but they did.

Maybe I can find Dad's copy of this, he added some notes and stored some pics in it.

Somewhere there is also a 1978 Jane's Fighting Ships that Mom got on clearance, but I haven't found it yet. With Dad's passing 25+ years ago, Mom 2 years ago, so much history to go through in this house I grew up in.

What years was he on the Tico? They had F-4D Skyrays on her as early as 1952. That was later re-designated as the F6. The F4 Phantom didn't come around until after she had the angle deck added on. Along about 1960. Maybe later, the Marines got them first. Probably the only time the Marines got anything first.

I won't say any more about the weapons load, but we went over from the Kitty Hawk and moved a bunch of stuff right before she was decommissioned.

Weird boat. We had to move through the passageways bent over. They were short back in the day.....

·
Registered
29,898 Posts
QUOTE="Chevy Rebel, post: 71988396, member: 227450"]

That's no fail at all !! Be sure to post up the video of you tossing your candles on your 102rd birthday. How long do we have to wait? :rolleyes:

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,208 Posts
What years was he on the Tico? They had F-4D Skyrays on her as early as 1952. That was later re-designated as the F6. The F4 Phantom didn't come around until after she had the angle deck added on. Along about 1960. Maybe later. The Marines got them first. Probably the only time the Marines got anything first.

I won't say any more about the weapons load, but we went over from the Kitty Hawk and moved a bunch of stuff right before she was decommissioned.

Weird boat. We had to move through the passageways bent over. They were short back in the day.....
61-62? until GoT in 64. He was blown down the deck when the planes scrambled on 8-2-64. He already had a cast on one arm and was blown past the elevator behind the tower and almost overboard. He only was able to hang onto the fire racks because of his cast, his words. He was transferred to BHR (Big Dick) before the 8-4-64 incident with all the radar issues.

Also while in the Pacific he mention several things,
A) Being in heavy seas with planes in 8 point or 16 point chains and having to hand pump the brakes
B) trying to find a safe spot between three typhoons
C) relief effort while docked, serving chicken chow mien to typhoon victims. Guam maybe?

Mom did mention I have a half brother from that time period before she married Dad, Redheaded Asian....

Dad had pics from his service years, not sure what Mom did with them when he passed away. I still have his letters home (he always sent $$ home).

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
QUOTE="Chevy Rebel, post:

That's no fail at all !! Be sure to post up the video of you tossing your candles on your 102rd birthday. How long do we have to wait? :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]
Relax Francis don't be such an uptight idiot....;)

·
Idiot Savant
163,076 Posts
61-62? until GoT in 64. He was blown down the deck when the planes scrambled on 8-2-64. He already had a cast on one arm and was blown past the elevator behind the tower and almost overboard. He only was able to hang onto the fire racks because of his cast, his words. He was transferred to BHR (Big Dick) before the 8-4-64 incident with all the radar issues.

Also while in the Pacific he mention several things,
A) Being in heavy seas with planes in 8 point or 16 point chains and having to hand pump the brakes
B) trying to find a safe spot between three typhoons
C) relief effort while docked, serving chicken chow mien to typhoon victims. Guam maybe?

Mom did mention I have a half brother from that time period before she married Dad, Redheaded Asian....

Dad had pics from his service years, not sure what Mom did with them when he passed away. I still have his letters home (he always sent $$ home).
They had wood, wood with an angled deck, steel clad wood, and aluminum decks (on the CVS). What was what is lost to history.....other then the Oriskany was the last wooden deck (steel clad) carrier.

12461 - 12480 of 13250 Posts