Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wanted a 30-378 due to its accuracy and ability to stretch its legs for 2000 plus yards but my goodness at 120 bucks for a box of 20 minimum what I observed it got me to thinking. Why is this ammo so expensive when its one of the bigger barrel burners out there?

I know why 375/408 is so expensive and it has a lot to do with its ability to remain stable when going transonic.

As I'm finding out the more I research the more I find stuff out.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Everything that has Roy's name on it is expensive.

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
Could it be something as simple as the difference in price between .410 shot shells and 12 gauge shot shells? The 12 is obviously the bigger round and has so much more material in it, yet it is the cheaper round. But there are exponentially more 12 gauge rounds being made and that is what is keeping the price down. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The big factor is what the brass costs. Then add the price of a berger bullet, powder and a primer and you are up there in price even if reloading. The cost will be significantly less on the rest of the firings since you already have brass. It sucks buying a new caliber when you have $200 for dies, buy a few hundred pieces of brass and sometimes components depending on if the powder is the same as what you have on hand for other calibers. Here's a link to the price of brass. It's even higher than the new 28 nosler brass

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1311255448/norma-reloading-brass-30-378-weatherby-magnum

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Here's a good way to look up what it cost to reload versus buying ammo. Enter in all the component prices and you will see what kind of savings there is in reloading. You can either figure it without the cost of brass or you can average the cost out over 8-10 firings, I've seen people do it both ways.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
The problem with getting into reloading is that you never actually save any money, you just end up shooting more. It ends up snowballing out of control. I once said that I was never reload pistol.. Well, I now have a full dillon 650 setup.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Roy stuff is high$ no matter what. 30-378 is interesting, i always catch myself looking at it, almost did a 7mm378 on a custom build, went witha 7mmx375ruger instead. All the comments about questionable accuracy at high velocities have stopped me from doing one. I couldnt ever fault someone for building one, sexy round with a berger vld hung way out of the case.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
Could it be something as simple as the difference in price between .410 shot shells and 12 gauge shot shells? The 12 is obviously the bigger round and has so much more material in it, yet it is the cheaper round. But there are exponentially more 12 gauge rounds being made and that is what is keeping the price down. Take care. Tom Worthington
Correct. Supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The problem with getting into reloading is that you never actually save any money, you just end up shooting more. It ends up snowballing out of control. I once said that I was never reload pistol.. Well, I now have a full dillon 650 setup.
I had a 650 with all the options and sold it to get a giraud trimmer and rcbs chargemasters. I hated picking up pistol brass and sorting it. Not to mention the crimped primer pockets on some 45 ammo along with finding small primer 45 brass. I don't disagree with the part about shooting more, it's a lot easier to justify shooting ammo that costs 60 cents versus $1.25.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I had a 650 with all the options and sold it to get a giraud trimmer and rcbs chargemasters. I hated picking up pistol brass and sorting it. Not to mention the crimped primer pockets on some 45 ammo along with finding small primer 45 brass. I don't disagree with the part about shooting more, it's a lot easier to justify shooting ammo that costs 60 cents versus $1.25.
Yeah, I hate picking up pistol brass too. I am lucky enough to have a buddy that owns a range and sells me .40 brass on the cheap.

·
Registered
32,935 Posts
One of you really smart guys just needs to invent a brass magnet...
I'm tired of picking up brass too!

·
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I hate picking up pistol brass too. I am lucky enough to have a buddy that owns a range and sells me .40 brass on the cheap.
You guys are really hitting on something here, I've seen guys fanatical about picking up their brass at the range.

It's amazing watching guys scouring the floor looking for their brass.

·
Registered
32,935 Posts
I pick up my brass, along with my steel cases because I am determined to leave the desert where I shoot cleaner than when I got there.

Last couple of trips out to the desert I came home with a full pickup bed full of other people's shot-up target garbage. It's just a matter of time before the tree-huggers get the ear of somebody at BLM and gets the area shut down. I LIKE shooting out there. So I pick it all up. Used brass is cheap enough, I just don't want to leave the mess.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts

·
Registered
14,924 Posts
I pick up my brass, along with my steel cases because I am determined to leave the desert where I shoot cleaner than when I got there.

Last couple of trips out to the desert I came home with a full pickup bed full of other people's shot-up target garbage. It's just a matter of time before the tree-huggers get the ear of somebody at BLM and gets the area shut down. I LIKE shooting out there. So I pick it all up. Used brass is cheap enough, I just don't want to leave the mess.
Thank you for doing that. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
437 Posts

I'm the same way. Here in commiechusetts they shut down most of the public ranges and the 1 that's left is a dump. I routinely go and bring work crews to clean it up cause I would hate to see it shutdown and some of the people who don't belong to a club would have nowhere to shoot.

I really need to start reloading though.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
You guys are really hitting on something here, I've seen guys fanatical about picking up their brass at the range.

It's amazing watching guys scouring the floor looking for their brass.
My rifle brass, I pick up all of it I can find. It is hard to get it all at matches. Pistol brass, I pick it up if I am at the range. If its at an outdoor range/match though, I pick up what I can, but I don't get crazy about it. I get 1000 pieces of 40 brass for $20.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I've always wanted a 30-378 due to its accuracy and ability to stretch its legs for 2000 plus yards but my goodness at 120 bucks for a box of 20 minimum what I observed it got me to thinking. Why is this ammo so expensive when its one of the bigger barrel burners out there?

I know why 375/408 is so expensive and it has a lot to do with its ability to remain stable when going transonic.

As I'm finding out the more I research the more I find stuff out.
For .375 cheytac, it's the brass(from what I understand). I've found it for $2 each. It sells for $7 and $10 per round. I'll be able to load/reload for way cheaper, even after having dies made.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts