Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the limit that I could take my 9" until it bends or breaks(horsepower wise)? It's a truck housing 3 1/4" tubes, about 54.5"s long. No bracing, stock 3rd member, spool, summit brand gear and new 31 spline moser axels. At what point would I need and form of brace?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
HP doesn't break rear ends. Poor set up, tire shake, and other variables does however, yes you can make to much HP for certain things but putting a number on something isn't possible with all the possible variations. So technically there is no HP limit anyone could ever give on rear end parts life. With that being said it should be braced the same time you decided to go drag racing.

·
SBF TTFMF
4,499 Posts
Which case, thats what you should be concerned with, the factory plain jane will break, and it will break the pinion out and take with it your shaft and trans.
^^ A friend of mine has a stock 9 inch in his mustang and Supershafts told him "watch out when that thing breaks...It's gonna shoot shit out and break the tranny/shaft and take out the engine too" LOL

·
Registered
677 Posts
Spend a little money. Get an aftermarket carrier and case and then get some braces added to the housing. It will give you a lot of piece of mind.

·
Registered
17,465 Posts
I think it's way more important, as stated, to make sure your center section is a good solid aftermarket piece.

I went 9's at 150-155 mph many times (300+) with a moser shortened stock style rear end in my 3600lb Mustang using a 31 spline Ford N case while the car was running 1.4x short times. As soon as the car started leaving harder (low 1.3x times) I broke the 31 spline Detroit Locker though the N case was still fine.

At this time I upgraded to a Strange N-Case with 35 spline axles. Broke the Lenco Billet Locker within 10 runs so I changed to a 35 spline spool. Still used the Moser un-braced rearend housing.

After 300 more passes, I changed to a fabricated braced rearend housing. The car ran a lot of 1.3x and a handful of 1.2x short times during this period. When I took the un-braced rearend out, as far as I could tell it was just fine.

Just some "data" for you to consider.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i have an all stock 8 inch in my maverick I have ran 1.5 60fts with a single 75mm on a big block ford 466 and c6 trans for 4 years with no breakage. it is stock 28 spline axles stock 3.00 gear and center section, only has a knockoff 28 spline minispool $15 has ran [email protected] in the 1/8th. more data

1 - 7 of 7 Posts