Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is melting of the dash switch and or plug from the wiring harness a.common problem. I have 1994 f350 that I got and smelled burning wire type smell off and on. I was finally able to tell it was coming from the light switch. When I took it out the plug from throw harness and wires behinfd it were melted. There was shrink wrap and you could tell that the plug was replaced at some point. I was going to go to the bone ward and cut a plug out and was curious if this is a common problem and if there is a fix.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
pretty common problem on the pic-ups, esp if you have extra load on the lighting circut via more lights & lamps, go-to the dealer and get a new switch and pigtail asbly and you should be good.....

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
seems that the late 80's era had more issues with the switches overheating.. most is caused from bad grounds. also many have cured issue with a larger relay to turn off or on and send power to the headlamps.
whenever we add side lights to the cab or running boards we add a relay or a totally seperate switch.

having the heater duct right next to the wires does not help.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the switch and wasnt sure if I could get a harness. I took about 20f'n lighst off the truck after I got it but the damage was probably already done, I have about 10 more I can loose without a problem

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You can buy the harness pigtail at most auto parts stores - Pico P/N 5311C. I burned up 4 of them with the extra load from my camper and 32' trailer, finally wired the headlights from relays fed directly from the battery thru auto-reset circuit breakers, cured the problem and my headlights are brighter as well.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy the harness pigtail at most auto parts stores - Pico P/N 5311C. I burned up 4 of them with the extra load from my camper and 32' trailer, finally wired the headlights from relays fed directly from the battery thru auto-reset circuit breakers, cured the problem and my headlights are brighter as well.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a solid plan. Glad to here it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a solid plan. Glad to here it is an easy fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts