Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm at a fork in the road . I need to choose between my 410 cubic inch SB2.2 or my 522 big block Chevy .

Car weighs 2800 w/driver. T400 . 315 radials. 4 link .strut front end . Grudge racing. No rules to go by . Cant decide.

Big block has dart 320 heads solid roller cam keith black aluminum block .

SB2 is 4.155 bore. 3 .875 stroke . Dovovan slum block.

I know the big block will make more power but I'm afraid the 320 heads will restrict the motor , sb 2 is limited in power because of the 2 center exhaust valves . Sb 2 is lighter . Should make 1200/1300 from sb2. 1600 BBC. Sb is 200 lbs lighter . Any thoughts ????

I like the looks of the sb2 and the "cool factor" but can build milder BBC and make more power. Worried about 320 heads. Being small.

any thoughts and advise would be greatly appreciated ...thank you

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to add . I have 225 pound precision injectors 90 millimeter throttle body for both motors . running on e 85 with no intercooler , thanks again for the time.

·
Procharged SBC Enthusiast
5,150 Posts
You are aiming low on your HP #s with that SB . It can make more power than that on E85 IMOP . That being said I would probably go with the big block as it will take less boost to make more power . If having it be easier on parts then the bbc is the way to go . And I am a sbc chevy guy but your goals need an engine that can go rounds pretty easy and the BBC is a better platform for doing that even though it weighs more than your SB2 engine .

·
Registered
632 Posts
bbc

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
BBC use the 320's to get the car running then upgrade to something else.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BBC use the 320's to get the car running then upgrade to something else.
alot of good advise here !!! thanks.......yes i would like to just use the 320's for now.. not sure how big a head to use and how much power i can make with the 320's verses a larger head same setup ???

·
5,150 Posts
Not sure that with the F2 HP is going to be a factor as much as the boost # you will need to make that HP. You will make plenty of power with the 320s, your engine just may use more hp to turn the blower and push the air through the cylinder head. If you were using an F3 it would be a bigger issue.

·
Fastest mustang roller
3,005 Posts
Does anyone think it would be harder for a boosted big block to find grudge races than a boosted small block. The BB alone might put you into a different class of competition. The BB will probably be more reliable and make more power but if you're really going to be looking for money races you might scare comparable competition.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
If that sbc will rev and take it /you probably could run as good or better ets than the bbc.That weight off the nose is big to me.We did a 520 with 360 castings and they were ported to 390 cc area and it wasnt enough.If you keep those 320s.open up the cross sectional area in them as much as possible.Get the throat in the 92 percent area and get cross section in your intake correct.If you dont do that i think you willbe disappointed.jmo
Vinny

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
If I was grude racing... SB2 motor all the way! More RPM and more boost out of the same blower... put a BIG program in the SB2 castings and let it eat!

Vinny nailed everything on the BBC's issues.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well since i posted the first time i have decided to go with the bbc. my 320 heads will have to do for now.....i looked more into using the SB2 motor and it seems after 1200 hp or so the center 2 valves being so close together give head gasket issues no matter how much water you get to them !!! i am going with the big block for now and starting to piece together a chevy small block 430 cid F3 splayed valve motor....with the exhaust ports symmetrical i can throw all the the power to them ...then i will be a few pounds lighter and throw the power to it !!!! i hope the 320 heads dont kill the power on my bbc for now :(

thanks for all the advise....i need all i can get, new to this side of the world :)

·
5,150 Posts
I think you will make more power with that BBC with those heads than you are expecting . But the new SBC sounds like a killer piece !!!

·
Confused Racer
42,021 Posts
well since i posted the first time i have decided to go with the bbc. my 320 heads will have to do for now.....i looked more into using the SB2 motor and it seems after 1200 hp or so the center 2 valves being so close together give head gasket issues no matter how much water you get to them !!! i am going with the big block for now and starting to piece together a chevy small block 430 cid F3 splayed valve motor....with the exhaust ports symmetrical i can throw all the the power to them ...then i will be a few pounds lighter and throw the power to it !!!! i hope the 320 heads dont kill the power on my bbc for now :(

thanks for all the advise....i need all i can get, new to this side of the world :)

I just put together a f-2 blow thru with brodix race rites on a 496. 3500lbs and the first day out it went a 8.97 154.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
BIG BLOCK!

I run dart 320's on my 540 with a F2 made 22 lbs of boost spinning it 45k. Steve Morris guesstimated I could make 1500-1700 with those heads.
I would be highly disappointed if i couldnt do 1700 with a sb2 and have 200 less pounds on the nose also.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts