Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or know if I can run this blower with a standard sb crank snout with a single keyway? Its on a 15* headed 427 with an ATI balancer. Thinking about running a race or two like this. It's set up for turbo and just want to throw the F1 on and go. Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dont do it ,double keyway a must on any cog drive,will cause loads of damadge if it lets go.You can buy a double key crank kit which means you dont have to pull the crank,also ATI do a nice aftermarket double key damper hub.

Where can I find that kit? I can get someone local to broach the dampner.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats pretty cool. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
19,904 Posts
not sure how it would work, but on the LS engines with the stock balancer(pressed, no keys), they drill between the crank and balancer,
and slide a round piece in-that might hold along with your stock keyway
i have over the years run 1 keyway with roots blowers, and ran 18 lbs with a procharger with a serpentine belt no problems
ATI has a kit to drill the crank on LS cranks, not sure if they have something for a s/b to make a sec keyway-it would have to be 180 deg
from the ext one, pretty accurate
i think Procharger has the LS kit with the balancer installed
i always have my balancers hone fit for proper press, that helps too

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Has anyone tried or know if I can run this blower with a standard sb crank snout with a single keyway? Its on a 15* headed 427 with an ATI balancer. Thinking about running a race or two like this. It's set up for turbo and just want to throw the F1 on and go. Thanks
I would recommend against the single. No need to trash a good damper. Also if it is an ATI make sure it has a Steel hub not an aluminum........

·
Registered
457 Posts
You'll need to upgrade your Damper Hub. I found out after splitting a couple ATI standard hubs.

The early small block Chevrolet and the later LT1 and LS1 engines all present problems when supercharging. The original Small Block and the LT1 have a shaft size of 1.245” and a seal diameter of 1.760 leaving the hub wall thickness at .257” or just over 1/4”. Many engine builders put a 1/4’ key in the crankshaft leaving just 1/8” of material between the groove and the seal surface. The result is a failed hub that destroys the damper and the nose of the crank shaft. The later LT1 and LS1 are even worse with just a press fit and no keys; a total disaster when you try to supercharge and drive the blower from the damper. To remedy this situation, ATI now manufactures a variety of Small Block Chevrolet hubs for supercharging.

Big Block 2.331” Seal Diameter
For the serious racer with high boost requirements, ATI offers a small block Chevy crank hub with the big block 2.331 seal diameter increasing the wall to .562; a whopping 220% increase that totally eliminates failure at this point. A new timing cover and seal are required. For small blocks up to 1992.

Applications
Part #
Price
HUB FOR SBC, 6 BOLT, CHRYSLER FRONT, (1) 3/16, (1) 1/4 KEYWAY*
916135​
$141​
HUB FOR SBC, 6 BOLT, CHRYSLER FRONT, (2) 3/16 KEYWAYS*
916136​
$130​
HUB FOR SBC, 6 BOLT, CHEVY OEM FRONT, (2) 3/16 KEYWAYS
916172​
$150​