Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend of mine recently wrecked his brand new 2008 F150 SuperCab 2WD truck. He hit a tree head on doing approx 25-30mph. He didnt have his seatbelt on but his passenger did. Hitting a tree head on at those speeds was enough to send him up over the steering wheel into the windshield w/ enough force to shatter the glass but not send him through it. It was also enough force to render the truck as a complete write off according to his ins co. Now here is the concern/ question... there was ZERO airbag deployment on either side of of the truck.
A simple cursory inquiry netted some responses form Ford guys along the lines of "Sometimes if you dont have your seatbelts on the bags wont deploy"...
I call BS on this concept. Esp since one belt was plugged in and the other was not... neither bag deployed. I know air bags are not designed to replace sealbelts but at the same time they are there to try to save lives in any situation that warrants thier deployment... Soooo can any of you fine folk here enlighten me as to what my next course of action/ inquiry could or should be? I'm just trying to get an idea of where to go... Thanks in advance for any information.
~RB

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
I know with my 2005 F150 if the passenger is too light, the airbag light won't turn on. There are sensors in the seat to activate the airbags, only if someone is sitting in the seat
It has nothing to do with the seatbelt as far as I have researched.
My wife weighs 100lbs and there have been times where she won't even trigger the airbag. The damn airbag light turns on and off while driving.
Does the same thing if I put my briefcase on the seat. It will read there is weight on the seat, but not enough to activate the airbag.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Here's what I can give you.
Safety Belt Buckle Switch
As part of the supplemental restraint system (SRS), the driver and front outboard passenger safety belt buckles are equipped with a Hall-effect switch. The safety belt buckle switches indicate to the restraints control module (RCM) whether the safety belt buckles are buckled or unbuckled.
The RCM uses this information in determining the deployment rate of the dual-stage driver and passenger air bag modules.
The safety belt buckle switches are also used for the driver safety belt warning system and the driver Belt Minder® and passenger Belt Minder® (if equipped). Refer to Section 501-20A and Section 413-01 or the Owner's Literature.
Safety Belt Pretensioners
As part of the supplemental restraints system (SRS), the safety belt buckles are equipped with pretensioners. The safety belt buckle pretensioners remove excess slack from the safety belt webbing. The pretensioners are activated by the restraints control module (RCM) when the module detects a frontal impact event exceeding a programmed limit and the safety belt is latched (buckled). The passenger safety belt pretensioner can deploy regardless of the presence of an occupant if the front outboard passenger safety belt is latched (buckled).
Principles of Operation
A supplemental restraint system (SRS) consists of a driver and passenger dual stage air bag module (containing an inflator/squib or gas generator and an air bag), safety belt pretensioners (containing an inflator/squib or gas generator), impact sensor, a restraints control module (RCM), a clockspring, an air bag warning indicator, occupant classification sensor (OCS) system and a passenger air bag deactivation (PAD) indicator. These components are all interconnected by a wiring harness and powered by the vehicle's battery. The RCM includes a backup power supply. This feature provides sufficient backup power to deploy the SRS components in the event that the ignition circuit is lost or damaged during impact. The backup power supply will deplete its stored energy approximately one minute after power and/or ground has been removed from the RCM. If a SRS fault exists, the RCM supplies a ground to flash a coded sequence which is called a LFC on the air bag warning indicator located in the instrument cluster (IC) module. Each LFC is flashed 5 times after which the air bag indictor will remain lit for the remainder of the key-on cycle. In addition to the self-test at start up, the RCM continuously monitors all of its external and internal circuitry for faults.
In a frontal collision, the impact sensor located in the front of the vehicle detects sudden deceleration and sends an electrical signal to the RCM. The RCM uses the information from the impact sensor in the deployment determination. If the RCM determines that deployment is required, the RCM sends voltage and current to the squib(s) causing the solid chemical propellant to undergo a rapid chemical reaction. This controlled reaction produces harmless nitrogen gas that fills the air bag(s) and/or activates the safety belt pretensioners to remove slack from the safety belt(s).
The RCM communicates through the data link connector (DLC) the current and historical DTCs
Because the driver and passenger front air bags each have 2 deployment stages, it is possible that Stage 1 has deployed and Stage 2 has not.
If a front air bag module has deployed, it is mandatory that the front air bag module be remotely deployed using the appropriate air bag disposal procedure.
For this vehicle line, the SRS uses one satellite sensor in addition to the RCM. The RCM is mounted to the center tunnel beneath the 20 percent seat or floor console (if equipped). All vehicles have one front impact severity sensor located in the front-center area of the vehicle, behind the grille mounted on the lower radiator support. Mounting orientation is critical for correct operation of all impact sensors.

·
J&E POWER!!
4,965 Posts
sounds to me like the system worked correctly, the driver air bag won't deploy if your not wearing your seatbelt because it will rip your head off. the passenger side on some have a switch to deactivate them manual, which alot of people do. Like was stated there are weight sensors in the seats, Ford doesn't know what the actually weight is tho...i worked in a dealer and had to figure out why the light was flashing with the child in the front seat. The Ford Tech hotline said it was between 80-120lbs. Did the pretensioners work? Did they pull down on the latch like they are supposed to?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right on.

Thanks guys! Yeah so maybe that IS INDEED the case where you need to have your belt buckled... wow never knew that. The passenger was 110-120 lbs max and yes her pretentioner lock right up and kept her where she needed to be.

Qwik, Bigs, Rick, & Bu...Thanks guys. He was more or less wondering if he should have an attorney snoop around on that deal. I told him I'd do it for him and it wouldnt cost him a dime. Much appreciated.=

~RB

·
Registered
323 Posts
A good friend of mine recently wrecked his brand new 2008 F150 SuperCab 2WD truck. He hit a tree head on doing approx 25-30mph. He didnt have his seatbelt on but his passenger did. Hitting a tree head on at those speeds was enough to send him up over the steering wheel into the windshield w/ enough force to shatter the glass but not send him through it. It was also enough force to render the truck as a complete write off according to his ins co. Now here is the concern/ question... there was ZERO airbag deployment on either side of of the truck.
A simple cursory inquiry netted some responses form Ford guys along the lines of "Sometimes if you dont have your seatbelts on the bags wont deploy"...
I call BS on this concept. Esp since one belt was plugged in and the other was not... neither bag deployed. I know air bags are not designed to replace sealbelts but at the same time they are there to try to save lives in any situation that warrants thier deployment... Soooo can any of you fine folk here enlighten me as to what my next course of action/ inquiry could or should be? I'm just trying to get an idea of where to go... Thanks in advance for any information.
~RB
I would guess he will wear the belt from now on....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.