Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 F150 4x4 and I pull a equipment trailer daily,,the problem is, 2 days after I wash it the front wheels are black with brake dust.

I've tried to find those dust covers that fit inside the wheels. The places I've called don't know what I'm talking about. Years ago when I worked for Tire Kingdom we stocked them,,but no more.

Any ideas where I can find them for 18" 6 lug wheels??

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I got the same problem with my 07 Silverado. Try a store that sells custom wheels. My buddy can get them for me but they cost like 40 bucks. I was hoping the brakes would seat in and stop making this dust. Ten thousand miles now and they will dust my wheels in 50 miles of street driving. RM

·
Registered
16,600 Posts
X2 Full ceramic is the way to go................but they may not agree with the loads your carrying. Does the trailer have brakes?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
04-05 f150's had that problem real bad, so did 03-04 exped's. I suggest just getting a new set of pads. We haven't had any problems with the motorcraft pads dusting. Or get some wagners.

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
I have found that aftermarket pads are brutal for dust.

I just did the brakes on my wife's 2004 Chevy Malibu, they squeal and make so much dust I'm returning them. Been doing brake jobs for years and never seen anything like this, makes me wonder if they are cheaping out on materials.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
My 2000 Z71 had 107,000 miles on it with factory brakes and it never made the wheels black. The 07 is the same truck and it does. Do you think the pads have changed? Why would I want to replace the pads on a brand new 07 truck with 10,000 miles on it? RM

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
Mr Gasket

"Wheel Shield" PN 6905. I have a pair hanging in my garage.

·
its blingtiffic™
9,829 Posts
Believe it or not those holes in the wheel aid in cooling the brakes. If you choose to use the kleenwheels you are asking for warped rotors. We use the Akebono's with great sucess the part number for your app is ACT1011 they should set you back 100 bucks or so.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have an 04 F-150, and I had to put the dust shields on it. After that no more problems.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
X2 Full ceramic is the way to go................but they may not agree with the loads your carrying. Does the trailer have brakes?
My trailer doesn't have brakes and I guess it weighs about 4000lbs loaded.

This truck has the noisiest brakes,, and I turned the rotors once and they warped again in about a week so now I just live with it.

thanks for the replies ,,I going to get something on it soon.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ford has updated rotors for this issue TSB 05-21-19

Here are the thicker Rotors

5L3Z-1102-ABRotor (4X2, 6 Lug)5L3Z-1102-BARotor (4X2, 7 Lug)5L3Z-1125-AARotor (4X4, 6 Lug)5L3Z-1125-BARotor (4X4, 7 Lug)

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
Ceramic pads are nearly dust free. They need to warm up a hair before they work their best (like 3 or 4 regular stops) so keep that in mind.

I recently put Hawk pads on my Excursion and they don't dust real bad either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts