Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Application: Truck pull 9000 + rpm BBF

rules : no external oil pumps .....

currently running a Kasse pump inside the pan (stock type)

Question:
Anyone have any experience in running an external bypass oil pressure regulator, bypassing oil back to the pan, and block off the cheap lil regulator in the pump..? Thinking about bypassing at the top back of the block (stock oil spressure gauge location BBF)

Just thinking right now and would like others thoughts, this would allow me to adjust the oil pressure.

I currently have other means of bypassing internally but it isnt adjustable (small drilled hole in galley plug to bypass and lower pressure ) it was 110 psi above 9000

·
Registered
842 Posts
Application: Truck pull 9000 + rpm BBF

rules : no external oil pumps .....

currently running a Kasse pump inside the pan (stock type)

Question:
Anyone have any experience in running an external bypass oil pressure regulator, bypassing oil back to the pan, and block off the cheap lil regulator in the pump..? Thinking about bypassing at the top back of the block (stock oil spressure gauge location BBF)

Just thinking right now and would like others thoughts, this would allow me to adjust the oil pressure. I currently have other means of bypassing internally but it isnt adjustable (small drilled hole in galley plug to bypass and lower pressure ) it was 110 psi above 9000
I've seen it done using the 'top back' port on the block. The body of the devise appeared to have been producted from round stock and some lathe work. It had a poppet and a spring like comes with a Weaver Bros. or SCP external oil pump.

What I do not understand is the 100 + psi you are getting from the Kaase oil pump. I've install several and sell 25-30 of those a year and I have not observed or heard reports of that kind of pressure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lem , have you ever opened up the passages in the pump body and built a 1" pickup tube to run on one ....? And it only does it above 9000....I think I've over taxed the kasse pump bypass..... Because oil pressure exponentially increases with Rpm

·
Registered
842 Posts
Lem , have you ever opened up the passages in the pump body and built a 1" pickup tube to run on one ....? And it only does it above 9000....I think I've over taxed the kasse pump bypass..... Because oil pressure exponentially increases with Rpm
The bypass funtion is ~ the Melling deal....no magic there.
1" tube? ....100 + pressure...I can not see a delivery issue to the pump.

I really do not know w.t.f. to think....call me if you wish.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Stef's sells a setup like that. They have an external regulator made from billet using an adjustable spring/ball to regulate, with and without a provision for an oil filter (uses the big Ford diesel filter). There is a port for oil return to the pan or whatever. They can also provide a pump with the regulator blocked off, if needed.

In my case, with a sbf, I bought the piece with the oil filter provision and a standard Mellings pump. It worked OK. The one thing I noticed was the pressure gauge would start bouncing when the rpms got above 5000. I think the standard pump was marginal. A HV pump would have worked better.

I still use the regulator/filter setup, now with an external pump. Oil flow/pressure is smooth now all the way thru 8000 rpm.

John

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have guys use our remote relief for this often.
I will look into this , thanks....

any advise on using it... Do's / Don'ts

I would assume it to be pretty straight forward......

I assume a guy would totally block off the pump bypas by using a piece of aluminum dowel or something....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Yep dowel the block bypass shut so you don't dual regulate.

Run your -10 or -12 line out of the filter adapter to the relief, run your -10 bypass line back to the oil pan, and return your -10 or -12 pressure line back into the filter adapter.

Set screw on the top with a jamnut is where you adjust pressure up or down. Screw the adjuster into the relief to increase oil pressure and out away from the relief to decrease oil pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts