Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get it. So many people go way out of their way to cover the plate on $2500 car for sale online.

What the hell, you drive down the fucking road every day in the car, why the big secrecy? If it's an expensive exotic, etc.., I get it.

Also, what do guys who drive big $$ do when they drive down the road, worry constantly that people will look at their plates?

·
Registered
26,974 Posts
I don't get it. So many people go way out of their way to cover the plate on $2500 car for sale online.

What the hell, you drive down the fucking road every day in the car, why the big secrecy? If it's an expensive exotic, etc.., I get it.

Also, what do guys who drive big $$ do when they drive down the road, worry constantly that people will look at their plates?
Maybe it's stolen ? Used in a robbery ?

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I wonder about why people do it also. What gets me is the ones on facebook trader pages doing it. I mean don't they know you can see your name on those pages. But shit let's cover the plate up,not to mention half of the car they are trying to sell.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I wonder about why people do it also. What gets me is the ones on facebook trader pages doing it. I mean don't they know you can see your name on those pages. But shit let's cover the plate up,not to mention half of the car they are trying to sell.

i love the ones on facebook where they say the car runs great

BUT NEEDS A BATTERY

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've never understood it either. I don't think those people realize that their plate number is free for grabs in any parking lot, driving down the road, sitting at a redlight, ect. If someone wants your car bad enough they'll get it with or without your plate number. Dumbasses. Mf'ers act like it's a social security number or something.

·
Registered
21,573 Posts
Mf'ers act like it's a social security number or something.
Thanks in part to many businesses and the U.S. govt, even that is hardly a secret, anymore. For at least part of the time in the US Navy, and before we got out of boot camp, the Navy converted our ID and dog tags to SSN. For a time, "it was" a fad to have the GD thing printed on your personal checks.

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
I posted my truck for sale last year. I got some emails about a scammer posting my pictures on other cities for a lot less money. One day I start getting calls from the Sherriff's Office in Montana. I live in PA. We played phone tag a few times and than my local Aston Police showed up with 3 cop cars and were banging on my door with my wife and kids at home. They were running all my VIN's on all my cars and taking covers off and shit. They urged me to call the Sheriffs office because my truck was sold to someone for $2k and they were scammed. I had to spend a bunch of time taking pictures and making calls to get it cleared up. Bunch of fucking nonsense all because 1 picture had my plate in it. Never again!!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I posted my truck for sale last year. I got some emails about a scammer posting my pictures on other cities for a lot less money. One day I start getting calls from the Sherriff's Office in Montana. I live in PA. We played phone tag a few times and than my local Aston Police showed up with 3 cop cars and were banging on my door with my wife and kids at home. They were running all my VIN's on all my cars and taking covers off and shit. They urged me to call the Sheriffs office because my truck was sold to someone for $2k and they were scammed. I had to spend a bunch of time taking pictures and making calls to get it cleared up. Bunch of fucking nonsense all because 1 picture had my plate in it. Never again!!

And there you have it.

People do it for a reason. When I sell shit I don't meet at my place, I meet up at some parking lot.

I busted a guy that had done a string of home burglaries that lasted over a year. His method was calling CL ads and seeing what the persons had around their places. He would return later to steal what he could.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Wow thank you that kinda clears things up! When I posted stuff I covered the plate because others had, knowing there must be a reason.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also, always take the plates off when you sell the vehicle. I had a guy running tolls and red light cameras with a truck I sold him.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
runs good, just needs a tune up. i've seen that one many times.
you forgot the "when I parked it"

15 friggin years ago with no hood on it and nothing covering the carb with the throttle stuck open. :)

Might need a little Marvel Mystery oil to "loosen 'er up before she'll fire!" :rolleyes:

·
FHRITP
50,873 Posts
Not sure if you can get an address off the plates, but i do not meet people from CL at my house ever. Nor do I want some CL wackjob knowing where I live. Kinda seems like a shopping catalog for thieves, see what you wanna steal and know exactly where it's at.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts