Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've moved the snow again and have idle time. Can someone explain the following. 1) why are manual trans cars prohibited the ability to use magnetic release devices?? The auto trans guys get to use electric solenoids for trans brakes. and most use adjustable release buttons. Where would the manual cars have any advantage over the automatics. Seems with converter tech. and all the effort put into the automatics that the additional weight and the release kits would bring some parity. What do you manual trans guys think ???? I say let the magnetic release become the trans brake of the manual transmissions. Time to move some snow.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
From what I understand it's a safety issue... Someone rigs up a weak magnet in the system and the thing lets go when it's not supposed to and someone gets run over...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose it could happen. But I have the same concern of button failure. solenoid failure, driver failure. Seems like a week reason but then again I might be bias.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
From what I understand it's a safety issue... Someone rigs up a weak magnet in the system and the thing lets go when it's not supposed to and someone gets run over...
I've heard of some "brakes" that aren't adjusted right and actually allow the car to move(sometimes in the wrong direction). Any kind of failure in an automatic could be just as bad.

How about this..............just rely on your FOOT and do it the old fashion way? Who needs electronics anyway? Electronics were all the rage when no one was using them. Now that you have to have a class to run them, why use it? You don't have any upper hand anymore.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thought. I would think that the only time the magnet would be activated / in use would be on starting line. In which case there should not be any foot traffic. So I guess in my slanted view not a problem . Also some of the new mustangs and camaro's have have hyd release bearings with a slave cylinder. I could see a line loc plumbed thru slave and be released with a button. So many ways to achieve end result but now way to actually monitor. I still like the magnet and with the approval I'm sure time and thought would rival the time tested trans brake. How many of you would or will stand in front of an automatic with the trans brake activated.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I could see a line loc plumbed thru slave and be released with a button.
There are allready lots of guys doing this with the newer cars.(even though it's not legal..)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Where does it say it is illegal? What is your class?

I don't see a safety issue any more that other mechanisms......

I guess a delay box could be set up with a magnet.......

Hydraulic bearings could be very slow, I suppose?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ok I've moved the snow again and have idle time. Can someone explain the following. 1) why are manual trans cars prohibited the ability to use magnetic release devices?? The auto trans guys get to use electric solenoids for trans brakes. and most use adjustable release buttons. Where would the manual cars have any advantage over the automatics. Seems with converter tech. and all the effort put into the automatics that the additional weight and the release kits would bring some parity. What do you manual trans guys think ???? I say let the magnetic release become the trans brake of the manual transmissions. Time to move some snow.
Some organizations allow it..... PSCA for one...This is from 8.60 index rules

Electronics Policies:
The Following Devices are Illegal: (And Have To Be Completely Removed From Car)
*Electronic / Pneumatic / or any Remotely Activated Throttle Stops
*Optical Sensors / Stutter Boxes
*Delay Boxes / Cross-Over Boxes
*Electric / Hydraulic Pneumatic Shifters (All Shifts Must Be Made By Driver)
*Electronic Nitrous Controllers
*Any and All "Traction Control Devices"

The Following Devices are Legal:
* 2 & 3 Step Rev-Limiters
*Trans-Brakes
*Electric / Hydraulic Pneumatic Clutch Release Devices
*MSD-7 and/or any other Ignition Box that contains Programmable Timing Functions

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Can someone explain the following. 1) why are manual trans cars prohibited the ability to use magnetic release devices?? The auto trans guys get to use electric solenoids for trans brakes. and most use adjustable release buttons. Where would the manual cars have any advantage over the automatics.
I can't explain it, other than somebody being scared that it might actually catch on. If my opinion were of any importance, I'd be glad to support it. I would love to see manual transmission cars become more competitive. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My reason for even broaching such a topic here on the bullet is because just about every venue that allows the manual trans seem to want to add weight to manual cars. Then most (not all according to one of the posts) do not allow magnetic release components. It just does not make sense to me that with all the advances in the converters, brakes. shifters. and adjustable release butons that they feel that some le-way would not make things more interesting . The amount of engineering that has NOT gone into the clutch assy's and other aspects of the manual cars since the automatic boom has cause many people to not even consider rowing gears. The old Modified Elim cars broke a bunch of parts. But were they not intertaining to watch??? Some of the younger racers of today have no idea of what its like to drive and maintain a manual car. Thanks for all thats reading and responding to the thread.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FINAL NOTE! We the manual transmission racers need the following. 1) allow trans tunnels to modified with no penalty.2) Design a bell housing that allows adjustment and maintence that meets SFI requirments and make it afforable. 3) Allow clutch release hardware that has parity to the trans brakes on automatics. 4) Remove all weight penalty's untill enought reseach is compiled to warrant . Let's race and be open for changes when warranted.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I know a guy that has the magnet linked to his delay box. Pretty cool set up. I don't think it would be any different than a trans break.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
it's not an advantage to use a magnet if you know how to set your linkage......

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
To which classes are you referring? all the classes I will run allow the removable trans tunnel, but the floors have to be factory.
my clutch can be adjusted without taking the bellhousing off. Quicktime put a window in the bellhousing, underneath, and it still has an sfi sticker. I completely agree with the weights and we should also be alllowed to run any clutch we want.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Qwik. For one NMCA won't allow tunnel to be removable also cannot be modified to accomodate a liberty. I've been alerted that the Quick time housing can be a problem with clearance with some clutch assy's. I would have to contact and make sure my current assy would clear the Quick time. The linkage can be worked and made better but with stock bell crank type linkage you are limited to what can be accompliced. I just believe that given more options that more engineering and better products would be available. Agree on any clutch, multiple disc. While at it open the bottom of the bell housing or make 360* coverage mandatory on every thing.

·
25,123 Posts
I didn't realize NMCA had that rule. I have a single 10" Advanced Clutches and it fits fine in my bellhousing.
here is what they did to my bellhousing..

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Hey Notch, sweet looking alternative to a 3K plus Trick Titanium can !!! How much did they set you back for this one ? also, what Trans bolt's up to it and how deep is the can ? Thanks
I didn't realize NMCA had that rule. I have a single 10" Advanced Clutches and it fits fine in my bellhousing.
here is what they did to my bellhousing..

·
25,123 Posts
It is an LS bellhousing for a Jerico. The Quicktime bell was around $400 (I got a smokin deal) and the clutch adjustment window was $200 with the SFI re-certification.

RM-6036 - Chevy LS Bellhousing to Munice/Jerico Transmission
  • Height = 6.29"
  • Trans. Bore Ø = 4.685"
  • Engine = Chevy LS-1, LS-2, LS-3, LS-6, LS-7, LS-9
  • Trans. = Richmond, Saginaw, Muncie, Bert, Brinn, Chevy TKO 500-600, Falcon, Jerico 4-5 Speed
  • Clutch Ø = up to 11"
  • Flywheel = 168 tooth or 153 tooth
  • Weight = 22#

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
replace the bars in the clutch linkage with solid adjustable bars........you'll be amazed what you can do with a little testing.......

1 - 20 of 31 Posts