871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain index racing to me.
Say a 10.0 index.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
In short, it's a bracket race but everyone has the same dial in time... (whatever the index is, 10.00 or 11.50, or 8.50)

and they leave on a PRO tree....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its like a race where everyone's dial is 10.0 with a .400 pro tree, no electronics, no throttle stops. must have 2 seats, carpet, dash, no lettering. look up the rules for your local track.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
its basically throttle stop racing without the throttle stop.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In short, it's a bracket race but everyone has the same dial in time... (whatever the index is, 10.00 or 11.50, or 8.50)

and they leave on a PRO tree....
But it's heads up racing, rather than a handicap start. Right.
If one car runs 10.20 and one runs 10.0, they both leave at the same time.

Someone in another thread said, his car needs to run a 9.70 for the 10.0 index class.
Why, is he going to slow his car down to make it run 10.0?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it's not heads up. If you can breakout, it's bracket racing.

Dennis
So the 10.20 car leaves .20 before the 10.0 car?

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Why, is he going to slow his car down to make it run 10.0? Only if he wants to win!LOL

·
Banned
16,080 Posts
It's One-Dial bracket racing with a .400 pro tree.

Nothing more, nothing less.

There is no such thing as "Heads up Index Racing "

·
Registered
1,876 Posts

Someone in another thread said, his car needs to run a 9.70 for the 10.0 index class.
yes, and he is slowing it down. you wont win a 10.0 race if your car only goes 10.10 or 10.20 unless the other guy is sleeping! and the index race I run has limited any rules. we can run what we brung. some of the classes are .400 tree and the slower are .500.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
So the 10.20 car leaves .20 before the 10.0 car?
no, both leave at the same time in index racing.

Bone's post is spot on.

Index fills the gap between "heads up" and "bracket" racing. IMO, it's more challenging than anything else.

Think of it as a numbers game... the closest to zero without going under wins. Your car runs 10.11 (from sig), in index racing, your running a 10.00 index, and go a .001 r/t. So, 10.11-10+.001=.111 package.... take a moment and think of what you have to do to pick the car up that .11. If your in bracket racing you just write 10.10 on the windshield and you have a .001 package... That's why they say you need a faster car. If it's hot or you spin, you can tap the brakes or use a restrictor plate, or whatever, and slow down.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can someone explain index racing to me.
Say a 10.0 index.
Thanks
There are 2 (or 3) types of index racing. One is "class standard" as in Super Street (10.90), Super Gas (9.90), and Super Comp (8.90) at non-altitude tracks.

The 2nd type is in Stock and Super Stock. It can be very confusing as the "indexes" are tied to past performances (e.t.'s) in the varied classes and a subject to change. Ask a Stock or Super Stock racer to explain it! Then take two aspirin and lie down...

Top Dragster and Top Sportsman index racing introduce another set of rules.

There isn't enough room to explain the nuances, here. For a bit of explanation, click the link:
http://www.nhra.com/competition/classindexs.aspx

In closing, there's no fixed answer to how indexes work, it's too general of a term.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There are 2 (or 3) types of index racing. One is "class standard" as in Super Street (10.90), Super Gas (9.90), and Super Comp (8.90) at non-altitude tracks.

The 2nd type is in Stock and Super Stock. It can be very confusing as the "indexes" are tied to past performances (e.t.'s) in the varied classes and a subject to change. Ask a Stock or Super Stock racer to explain it! Then take two aspirin and lie down...

Top Dragster and Top Sportsman index racing introduce another set of rules.

There isn't enough room to explain the nuances, here. For a bit of explanation, click the link:
http://www.nhra.com/competition/classindexs.aspx

In closing, there's no fixed answer to how indexes work, it's too general of a term.
Here's another informative link: http://www.nhra.com/nhra101/classes.aspx

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

because when its a 100*outside and your car normally runs 10.0 flat out now in the heat you will most likely only run 10.10. now if I have a car going 9.70 I can still slow my car down to cover the 10.0 index and still have some left in the car need be. this is why racers who run any type of index racing make a car go faster than said index.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
because when its a 100*outside and your car normally runs 10.0 flat out now in the heat you will most likely only run 10.10. now if I have a car going 9.70 I can still slow my car down to cover the 10.0 index and still have some left in the car need be. this is why racers who run any type of index racing make a car go faster than said index.
Bingo!

In a sense, it has all the rules of a regular bracket race, but everyone's dial in is the same (10.00 or 11.50 or 8.50 or whatever the index is)

It's NOT heads up because the faster car doesn't necessarily win and you CAN certainly break out. But it LOOKS more like heads up racing because there is NO handicap start. Both cars leave at the same time.

Also, all the 10.00 and 11.50 I've done is on a .500 pro tree....not .400.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bingo!

It's NOT heads up because the faster car doesn't necessarily win and you CAN certainly break out. But it LOOKS more like heads up racing because there is NO handicap start. Both cars leave at the same time.
Respectfully, this statement thoroughly confuses me. It's heads-up or not.

Super Street, Super Gas, and Super Comp are heads-up with the break-out being the e.t. standard for the class.

I have spoken to the NHRA classes (or indexes). If you've run 10.00 or 11.50 indexes, that has to be the choice of the individual track to boost entry numbers. Are you allowed to use programmable throttle stops?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Respectfully, this statement thoroughly confuses me. It's heads-up or not.

Super Street, Super Gas, and Super Comp are heads-up with the break-out being the e.t. standard for the class.

I have spoken to the NHRA classes (or indexes). If you've run 10.00 or 11.50 indexes, that has to be the choice of the individual track to boost entry numbers. Are you allowed to use programmable throttle stops?
I believe heads up racing is first to the finish wins.
Index racing is not heads up racing just because both cars leave together.

But is does make a lot of people feel better to believe they are not bracket racing.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts