Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering which would make the most power in a streetcar pumpgas application that makes 525-550 HP. And which would sound the meanest.

All used with full length headers and everything being 3" piping. The mufflers of choice are 3" Dynomax Bullets and dumped at the rear axle.

1. 3" H-Pipe system

2. 3" X-Pipe system

3. 3" Straight pipe without H or X pipe section

·
THE BBK
1,215 Posts
I am wondering which would make the most power in a streetcar pumpgas application that makes 525-550 HP. And which would sound the meanest.

All used with full length headers and everything being 3" piping. The mufflers of choice are 3" Dynomax Bullets and dumped at the rear axle.

1. 3" H-Pipe system

2. 3" X-Pipe system

3. 3" Straight pipe without H or X pipe section
For sound I would go with 3inch with x pipe and bullets. I love the way it sounds and at that hp level I dont think it would make or hurt hp

·
Registered
370 Posts
I run 3.5" pipe and 3.5" dynomax ultra flow mufflers. Love em. I think they sell 3" ultra flows.

Everyone I know that switched to a x pipe report hp gains.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
race magnums and an X sounds mean for sure. I myself did longtubes , 3" y pipeinto a 4" flowmaster merge and single 4" w/ a dynatech stainless race muffler. I like it.

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,686 Posts
The X pipe will make it Sound Like its turning more RPM than it is, and On Back to Back Test at the Track We have seen NO Improvement with a X or H Pipe. Sound and The amount of it is all we have ever Seen or Heard form Balance or X pipe type Systems. A X Pipe is Nothing More Than a Restriction that Cancels Sound. For a ZERO Loss Exhaust System your Better Off to run the Correct size pipe with Minimal Bends and the Bends it does have make them as Soft Or least amount of bend as Possible. We have also have had good results (Space limited) with a Pressure Wave Box, Basically both of your pipes come off the Headder and feed into a "PWB" Which is a Muffler with no Baffles or Internals and comes out of it over the Axle and to the Mufflers.

Just My 2 cents But hey What do I Know, I have only been working with Exhaust for over 16 years.....

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have LT headers with 3" pipe and bullet muffelers that dump at the rear axle. It is wicked LOUD, and I don't dare run that on the street.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a 3 inch exhaust with dynomax bullets with no H or X pipe and it is LOUD!!!!! i drive it on the street and the neighbors hate it:supz:

But seriously for the street its a bit much and i am planing on quiting it down a tad

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
3 inch X

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had 3 1/2" dynomax bullets with straight pipes and turn downs just before the rear end.. wicked loud, Loved the sound though, neighbors din't. My chevelle had a H-pipe on it running flowmaster 3 chambers... seemed to deepen and quiet down the sound, seemed like it picked up a little more bottom end, but thats with my junk though. Putting a 3 1/2" system with a X pipe and flowmasters on the Chevelle for the 582,I saving up bail money now. Jay

·
Registered
509 Posts
3" X pipe, my spintech system sounds like it is turning 3000 rpm higher than it actually is. It also picked up almost a tenth with exhaust compared to without it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts