Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to pull the heads off and check a few things and found a few valve seats that look really bad. When I took these heads to the shop to have them assembled (I purchased them used) the seats looked really bad and I am not sure if the shop did anything to them, that was about 2 years ago. My question is, is this normal wear? A few of the seats are pitted pretty bad.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats normal if the heads weren't complete valves and seats are steel... and when you grind valves to seat raw steel is exposed!! condesation, dew mositure etc seat on the seat and they rust. If they was complete moisture in your gas or when your exhaust heats up it cause vapor once they start to warm up and cool down. seems like to me that you needed a valve job and they weren't sealing properly just my 2 cent!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I guess my question is could this happen with assembled heads on the engine, in the car? I am worried that the machine shop didn't do a valve job (as I paid for). How could this valve/seat seal up?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
We use to see the rust on the seats and spark plugs, Now we remove the charge pipe between the A/W inter-cooler and the T.B.when the car is put up for the night,, no more rust.. Even thought the inter-cooler leaks no moisture it is still like a green house in there..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts