Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was simply the baddest gasoline powered dragster of all time. The Peters & Frank "Freight Train", John Peters and Nye Frank. Nye was the crew chief on the Spirit of America jet car and was a fireman for the City of Beverly Hills. He was also my roomate for awhile and the Best Man at my first marriage. The driver was Bob Muravez and I'm sure everyone knows the story about how he got his alias, Floyd Lippencotte Jr.

This is the beginning. Dual (283") Chevy's and a single 6-71 supercharger. The car was sponsored at the time by Quincy Automotive, a speed shop in Santa Monica, CA.

Pretty simple. Single 4-brl. manifolds.

Not too ugly for it's day. This was at Riverside Raceway. 1/2 mile drag races on the long straightway.

Next step, two 6-71 blowers.

The blower drive shields are covering motocycle chains.

This is the same car but a couple of feet was added to increase the wheelbase. Also, first time out with front motorcycle tires.

The new car. Note the shaft coming out of the rear of the front blower and going into the front of the rear blower. Both blowers were driven off the single front belt. The front engine drove both blowers. It took about 100 horsepower to drive a 6-71 so the front engine was down about 200 hp, and the back engine got the benefit of the supercharger without having to drive it. This allowed us to couple the engines very close together.

Hey, it's red. That must mean it's a "Freight Train" now. The name was first used by an announcer who said that the twin looked like a freight train, and the name stuck.

http://twotogo.homestead.com/files/FreightTrain/9-7-6.jpg

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The "Train" at the old Irwindale track getting ready to make the turn off at the end of the shut-off area, Muravez looking to see who's taking his picture.

Light 'em up, baby. The "Freight Train" was one of the few gas dragsters that could use the top fuel tires back then, a major advantage at the time.

This car is on permenant exhibit at the NHRA Museum at Pomona.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://akaracing.com/photos.html

I hadn't seen Muravez in awhile and ran into him at the Winternationals in Pomona in February. I live in Upland and he still lives in Burbank. It's like we never missed a beat and now we talk via email every day. Our other partner, Nye Frank, is gone, unfortunately. Nye lived up in the hills in Idlewilde, above Palm Springs. One day he was driving home and he and some young kid got into some altercation. It ended up in a fight. Nye was in his late 60's and the kid was in his 20's. Anyway, after the fight was over, Nye drove to his house and went to the bathroom to clean up, keeled over and died of a heart attack. It was a devastating loss for Muravez and me and the entire drag racing community of old timers. For awhile, the local DA contemplated bringing manslaughter charges against the other guy but nothing ever happend about it.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two old farts, Muravez and Tommy Ivo, at the NHRA Museum.

Both of these guys were members of the Road Kings.

Other members of this "local car club", which was first founded in 1952, included Don Prudhomme, Kenny Safford and Don Johnson.

Here's Kenny in his old digger. That there be an Olds motor.

Safford-Ratican-Gaide, back in the day. They were known as "the sour sisters".

Don "the beachcomer" Johnson gettin' to the stripe first. The throttle is still wide open and the tires are "off the bead" and still smokin'. Don has his head bent forward and off to the side. This was the deal back in the day, because it's right about here that the blowers popped and when they did, the driver got a face full of aluminum schrapnel and buring fuel.

Don is no spring chicken either. I think I don't know any spring chickens anymore.

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Speaking of Don Prudhomme, this is one of his first trys at driving a digger. This is club member Tommy Ivo's Buick dragster at Carlsbad. Don eventually purchased this car from Ivo and installed a blown Chrysler engine.

Here's a Prudhomme dragster that you might not recognize. It was built for Don by my partner, Nye Frank. Nye built several cars like this, one of which was purposely wrecked for the movie "Heart Like a Wheel" at the old OCIR track.

·
Registered
68,873 Posts
Cool chit there George!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Great stuff. I love the way these pictures reflect the changes to the frieght train over the years! And ya just gotta love that HUGE parachute pack!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Didnt Tony Nancy have one of those streamliner type bodied dragsters like Prudhomme? That sure is an old pic of C-Bad. Never knew there was a road that came in that direction. Bet that pic was before the Moto X track?

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nye Frank, was an amazing engineer,welder/fabricator! He built so much amazing stuff, from drag cars, land speed cars, to off-road race cars. He was one of my heroes!
Jimmy White

Nye built this car for Mickey T., a monocoque Mustang funny car. Other than the upper part of the cage itself, there was no tube frame.

Much of Breedlove's three wheel and four wheel jet LSR cars were pure Nye Frank.

Nye built this dual engine LSR car for Mickey, twin SOHC engines.

The first "Pulsator" dual Chevy nitro digger, all hand built by Nye. This was after the "Freight Train" and before the lightweight "Pulsator" in my avitar.

Nye also built most of the factory Mazda rotary off road trucks for the M/T stadium races and Mickey's Chevy Baja trucks. Nye was an artist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was simply the baddest gasoline powered dragster of all time. The Peters & Frank "Freight Train", John Peters and Nye Frank. Nye was the crew chief on the Spirit of America jet car and was a fireman for the City of Beverly Hills. He was also my roomate for awhile and the Best Man at my first marriage. The First driver was Bob Brissette then Bob Muravez and I'm sure everyone knows the story about how he got his alias, Floyd Lippencotte Jr.

This is the beginning. Dual (283") Chevy's and a single 6-71 supercharger. The car was sponsored at the time by Quincy Automotive, a speed shop in Santa Monica, CA.

Pretty simple. Single 4-brl. manifolds.

Not too ugly for it's day. This was at Riverside Raceway. 1/2 mile drag races on the long straightway.

Next step, two 6-71 blowers.

The blower drive shields are covering motocycle chains.

This is the same car but a couple of feet was added to increase the wheelbase. Also, first time out with front motorcycle tires.

The new car. Note the shaft coming out of the rear of the front blower and going into the front of the rear blower. Both blowers were driven off the single front belt. The front engine drove both blowers. It took about 100 horsepower to drive a 6-71 so the front engine was down about 200 hp, and the back engine got the benefit of the supercharger without having to drive it. This allowed us to couple the engines very close together.

Hey, it's red. That must mean it's a "Freight Train" now. The name was first used by an announcer who said that the twin looked like a freight train, and the name stuck.

could you do me and my father Bob the favor as to state that he (Bob Brissette) was the 1st driver of the Quincy fright train this is a fact and was stated by the nhra and 4 of these photo show my father the first photo with the upside down blower in front of the engine is my dad driving and the photo with everyone setting by it has my dad and uncal jim setting by it their are still Manny people who think that Mr muravez was the first and there have been resent articles say that he was, now my father and muravez are friends and am sure that this cane be straighten out with no problems thank you Rob Brissette

·
Registered
3 Posts
could you do me and my father Bob the favor as to state that he (Bob Brissette) was the 1st driver of the fright train this is a fact and was stated by the nhra their are still Manny people who think that Mr muravez was the first and there have been resent articles say that he was, now my father and muravez are friends and am sure that this cane be straighten out with no problems thank you Rob Brissette

1 - 15 of 15 Posts