Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, my gauge dosent read the same pressure all the time (Autometer liquid filled). Without touching the regulator (BG 4-port & BG400 pump), it will read about 1# each way from 6# driving around. Any ideas, does my reg. need service?? is the gauge junk, maybe the barrel valve on pump???,...as I use this for my Fogger and Carb, I'd like it to be accurate. Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
My Automoter liquid filled does the same... Sometimes as much a 2lbs high!! I took mine off & went to a Sport Comp. Liquid was a waste of money.

I have been told by some racers to drain the oil out & run it like that & it will be much more accurate!! (Go figure..lol)

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Just wondering, my gauge dosent read the same pressure all the time (Autometer liquid filled). Without touching the regulator (BG 4-port & BG400 pump), it will read about 1# each way from 6# driving around. Any ideas, does my reg. need service?? is the gauge junk, maybe the barrel valve on pump???,...as I use this for my Fogger and Carb, I'd like it to be accurate. Thanks
You should have a separate regulator for the direct port and flow the carb and nitrous independently with a good flow tool - don't rely on the tiny gauges. They should only be used to show you HAVE fuel pressure.

Call Steve Johnson, he can get you squared away with parts and a flow tool.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
the vehicle mounted guages are not accurate enough to tune a nitrous system.
get a flow tool and use it even if you don't spray very much.
i would also recommend changing to a different and seperate regulator for the nitrous system. my experience with the bg regulators has been thet they are not very consistant. they are ok at best for the carb but should not be used for the nitrous system. get a small holley regulator or a small magnafuel for that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Trash the small gauge. I chased my tail all season setting fuel pressure with a small liguid filled gauge. I use the big clown gauge from Nitrous Express, but any high resoution large gauge and engineered flow tool would do.

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
It's not the size of the gage, it the liquid filling that counts (or in this case counts wrong) Empty the oil leave the rubber plug out and it will work much better.

·
T/S 368E
35,211 Posts

Trust my data recorder. Just use the little gauge for a quick check.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I dont like liquid filled gauges for this reason. They are supposed to be "burped" before use...each use lol to ensure accuracy. like they said you could drain the liquid out of the gauge and go.
I had a problem with the nitrous being too rich all the time, using a flow tool to set the pressure, but when i use the crappy little gauge when the big one crapped out, it was great, still slightly rich, but not spitting and popping rich, so I decided to investigate this. I was using a digital gauge (0-10 psi down to .0X resaloution lol) so i was annoyed. I connected the digital gauge, the little gauge (which i thought was horribly off, by like 1.5 psi) a automotive test type vac/pressure gauge, and a mityvac vac/pressure tool, dialed up 5 psi on the pump and every gauge was reading within 1/4 psi....now i was all screwed up. I found that the fuel flowing under the gauge inlet was causing the pressure to read incorrectly, so now i have two port on the nitrous regulator, I have the jet holder in one and the gauge on another mesureing in the chamber of the reg. This worked out to be more accurate but i chased my tail for awhile on it.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Everybody

Everybody has pretty much answered your question, but yes I use my Gigantic "Bling Bling" Nitrous Express gauge to flow both carb and nitrous on my car. Seperate regs for each of course.

·
"Someday"
2,427 Posts
Maybe a dumb question here. I also flow my carb with the flow tool, set at 7 lbs. Now, do you guys mess with the fuel flowing on the carb like the nitrous fuel? I have'nt ever done it, just curious?????

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Maybe a dumb question here. I also flow my carb with the flow tool, set at 7 lbs. Now, do you guys mess with the fuel flowing on the carb like the nitrous fuel? I have'nt ever done it, just curious?????

I just use the gauge and start the pump with the rear fuel line on the gauge. I don't keep the nitrous flow jet in it when I do the carb. If that is what you are asking. I have a return on the fuel side.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.