Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My DD is a 2001 Suburban with the 5.3 engine. I've got about 195,000 miles on it and it runs pretty good but I'm wondering about changing the grade/type of oil that I'm using to help it live a little longer. I've been using the manufactures spec 5/30 conventional but I am thinking about something a little heavier or maybe even a synthetic. It burns a quart every 1000 miles or so and it rattles like a diesel (piston slap) for a couple of minutes after cold starting but only when the temp dips to 40 or so. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Any name brand 5w-30 or 5w-40 oil is fine, just keep it changed every 3000 miles. You won't make it live any longer by using a special oil.

·
Capri For Sale
12,634 Posts
I've seen 'em like that with over 300K on 'em. Drive it 'til it drops.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen 'em like that with over 300K on 'em. Drive it 'til it drops.

Its on transmission #3 and fuel pump #3 but Id be a happy man if i could get another 100K out of it!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm a big fan of Rotella 5W40. Synthetic, cheap, easily found, and works great.

·
Registered
26,974 Posts
I started using 10-w30 oil in mine with the 5.3 when it hit 150K. Been using Mobil 1 synthetic since I bought it with 40K on it. I also started putting a small bottle of STP oil treatment (ZDDP high zinc content) . Yeah, it's a roller motor but figured the extra ZDP would help it live longer. Also pop a small bottle of Greased Lightning engine treatment from NAPA $5.49 every few changes. It's pushing 335K hard miles on the original engine. Doesn't use oil. Doesn't make any noises and it'll still rev to 6K. Something must be working. I don't use crappy FRAM oil filters either. NAPA Gold or WIX (same thing) . The guts of the FRAM filter will collapse in on itself and clog up the flow and low/no oil pressure. Also use synthetic trans fluid. My trans finally crapped out a couple of months ago (326K) It broke the planetary gears. If I drove it easy, it would probably have gone over 500K.

·
WHAT NOW ?
16,736 Posts
I'm a big fan of Rotella 5W40. Synthetic, cheap, easily found, and works great.
been using this in all of our LS based chevy engines....works great....we have some real high milers here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts