Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You do realize that is a company statement in regards to film processing and not an opinion of law don't you? It's more of an honor system.

Prior to 1978, court cases said a customer who commissioned a photo was the employer of the photographer, so customers could get reprints made without any problem. In 1979, the U.S. Supreme Court said that was no longer true. To be an employee, the court said a person would have to be considered an employee under the traditional tests such as are used to impose payroll taxes, social security, and similar laws. That is not the usual customer-photographer relationship.
Joe blow hires you to shoot some pics and he gets initial prints and receipt, you retain ownership since no agreement is written.. Joe blow 2 hires you to shoot some prints and you aren't his employee subject to payroll taxes however presents a license agreement which states he retains ownership and licensing rights of any and all photos shot while on premise at his bachelor party.. You take the contract which nullifies the quoted example and changes example in a clearly defined print. Ever got a pit pass to nascar? They used to (idk if they still do) include in the forms you sign in the credentials trailer that NASCAR owns any images taken while at the event, however under fair use what they can and can't enforce becomes open to court opinion. Reprints @ a souvenir trailer gives them and the high dollar attorneys on their payroll the upperhand, using the images as news reference covering an event open to the public gives the photog the upperhand but he still better have a sharp attorney who is skilled in copyrights, not just a regular attorney. I am just being devils advocate here and I don't condone all the stuff that bothers you guys but this type of post isn't going to help many people understand the ins and outs. If it bothers someone so much they should never post online any images they wish to protect as the internet and digital mediums have also changed how the game is played. But most don't because how can they show off their work without, well, showing it off? I respect others work and never have attempted to pass off others work as mine, but I know damn well going in that there are going to be asshats who don't respect it. I learned long ago just to not sweat it. The internet is full of infringement but there's reason you don't see D.A.'s going after people and it's left to civil cases which themselves are pretty rare. This post itself is just my opinion and I am not at all claiming to be a copyright attorney, I did stay at a holiday Inn express one night tho.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts