Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
No.. couldn't.

Ever witness tireshake so bad that you eyes couldn't focus on the car.. ?? been there..

Ever witness a driver passed out in the car in the traps due to shake..?? spooky..

Not only were the 70's notorious for violent shakes - there was basically zero protection... the results of unfortunate cases of matched resonance of bare helmets to bare cages were sometimes quite scary..

·
Registered
13,973 Posts
The phrase "tire shake" is over used. It is very real. It's not fun. Rattled my brain and teeth pulling 2 on a CS1. Pretty sure I blacked out, didn't make a full pass. Never grabbed 3, bounced off the rev limiter.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
The slow motion at the end shows it well. That tire was in the air as much as on the track.

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
26,324 Posts
You’ll never know till you experience it. I’ve had legit concussions. My younger brother lost a filling from his tooth once. My older brother had the midplate break and motor move forward to separate the coupler. It’s serious shit.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Someone needs to dub some engine sounds into that video.

Naaaaaa, naaaaaaa, naaaaa, naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Like I said before, electric? Impressive but booooooooring.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,021 Posts
i had it a couple times with my RED, it would 60 in the 1.0xx range...4 link car with 632....pretty wicked when it all happens so fast.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
It broke one of the frame rail in my altered. serious shit..

·
DamCoonass
15,018 Posts
Mine will spit fuel droplets out of the moon tank cap vent & hit my faceshield, break go pro mounts & rattle my kidneys.... all coming out of the water box with not enough wheel speed.

I can’t imagine it happening downtrack is any fun.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Ever witness tireshake so bad that you eyes couldn't focus on the car.. ?? been there..

Ever witness a driver passed out in the car in the traps due to shake..?? spooky..
I drove a blown small block altered many years ago for a very good friend of mine and we took the car down to Indy for a Quick 32. Car was an automatic and I just used to leave (with trans brake) and hammer the throttle. This particular weekend we put a launch control on the car. Having never used one before, he set the launch RPM about where we would normally leave, but this thing apparently didn't open up as quickly as my foot would open the throttle. The ensuing shake was like nothing I had experienced, that's for sure.

You mention the stuff above....... I never passed out, but the field of vision was definitely narrowing down until I finally just short-shifted the car and it came out of it. In hindsight, I should've just shut it off. I ended up having some back/neck issues that had to be dealt with by a chiropractor when it was all said and done. It was unreal.....

Sean D

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I drove a blown small block altered many years ago for a very good friend of mine and we took the car down to Indy for a Quick 32. Car was an automatic and I just used to leave (with trans brake) and hammer the throttle. This particular weekend we put a launch control on the car. Having never used one before, he set the launch RPM about where we would normally leave, but this thing apparently didn't open up as quickly as my foot would open the throttle. The ensuing shake was like nothing I had experienced, that's for sure.

You mention the stuff above....... I never passed out, but the field of vision was definitely narrowing down until I finally just short-shifted the car and it came out of it. In hindsight, I should've just shut it off. I ended up having some back/neck issues that had to be dealt with by a chiropractor when it was all said and done. It was unreal.....

Sean D
Yep, ..I grew up in BB/FC circuits in the midwest through the 70's.. while shake wasn't limited to any particular class, the FCs ( altereds ) drivers seemed to be most affected by it due to the driver position directly between the tires, the tight cage, etc..

Inherently, with a fc, the time spent at the high-end readying to return was extended - and offered opportunity to take in quite alot , from a range of the cars in the field... Some of the "after hard shake" affect was disturbing..

They were tough fucks though - climb right back in for the next round... Not knowing if it was going to happen again.. ( back then, nobody really knew what it was - or why it happened..)

My dad , in age, shows neuro affects of repeated concussions... no surprise..

·
Registered
17,249 Posts
LMAO,"quite possibly the first time tire shake has been heard". Guess the OP never saw a video of Big Daddy Don's electric dragster making a pass. I dont think that was tire shake anyway, it was just the sound of the slick/tire "grabbing" the track much like the sound peoples shoes make on a well prepped track.But I could be dead wrong cause I do not make enough HP to have tire shake.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Dom 332, rather than making me wade through a bunch of electric drag videos (something I don't want to do), can you post a link to the youtube you mention regarding Don Garlits and the tire shake he incurred?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Back when the IDBA was running strong,late 80's early 90's you could damn sure hear tire shake on the turbo funnybikes and some of the faster pro comp bikes too.

Crazy to watch the tires look like something in a cartoon they way they would distort.
I spoke to a couple of the riders and asked them what it was like and they said "go stick your head/helmet in the paint shaker at Lowes, clamp it down and have them turn it on"

Nope. :)

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
26,324 Posts
What is it exactly and what causes it?
Is it the slick balling up?
Yes. Wheel speed is too low and the tire is not slipping enough. The wrinkle (rotation force) of the sidewall gets ahead of the contact patch and balls the tire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts