Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and your projects get put on back burner. Not sure what to think of it. Buddy of mine has been trying to race his big block 57 Chevy for some time now, and other "mechanics" have been dicking him over. I got it straightened out for him and we've been trying to get to a local track for a couple weeks now only to get rained out. Last weekend finally got a good Friday night, and the cheap Chinese distributor that the other "mechanic" put in took a shit 100' off the line. Swapped the junk out for msd unit and he drove the car home on sunday. The guy has cancer, and been trying to help him out and have some fun. While I was working on his 57 sunday, an elderly neighbor stops by and wanted my opinion on his 86 Mercedes 560sl that a shop had been dicking him around with. He did not want to sink a lot of money into the car, but was not sure the shop was being honest with him. Went and trailered the car home for him last Wednesday, and now will be checking to see if the cam chain guides are shot and valves bent for him. Meanwhile, my 91 notch mustang project is still sitting waiting for the motor to be put back in, and my 64 Falcon pro street project is sitting patiently in the garage.......

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Can you let me know when you have the next open slot? ;) seriously though, I've got myself in that position in the past too. I try to be a good person and help others when possible but there also comes a point when you need to have time for your things/life too.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Many, many times. Just don't let them talk you into going ahead and geting some parts to fix their problems. My shop is full of my stuff so there's not room to take on somebody elses big dreams. Still will help out just don't house or finance anymore. :cool:

·
YB Word Crew
21,846 Posts
yeah but I don't mind helping people. I actually find it easier working on other peoples cars, its good to get on the tools but not have the daunting task of your own big project

·
AG Jeff is my Hero
6,333 Posts
yep get this quite a bit. If its someone I know and I'm friends with them I'll give them a hand for no questions asked.. Never expect a dime.. otherwise f*** you pay me

·
Registered
22,777 Posts
Yep, if i can help someone I will even putting my own stuff on hold if they were getting fucked around by someone or getting screwed on pricing.

·
Mother Hen
51,607 Posts
In before: "Is that what you HEARD from the people you hung around with at the track"..................in 1.....2.........!... :rolleyes:
The problem with most things is once you repair it, then anything that goes wrong after that, you are the go to guy. Not always, but mostly. This is true whether it's cars or accounting or whatever your specialty may be.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
I went down that rabbit hole... All of them were my fault for saying "Sure! I'll help," and I've made sure to tactfully let my friends know that I don't work on anyone else's stuff in my shop anymore.
And every one of them knows it's their own fault. Floors and leaf spring inboard kit on a Mopar... "I'll be over every night, and we'll bang it out in a couple weeks." A year and three months later, the car left my shop incomplete.
Because we had to do floors on another friend's '72 Mustang.
a year later, that car left the shop incomplete...
And my third car-guy friend said he helped me get the '72 out, and I helped me a couple days with the Mustang, and and and... Fine.
We've got ONE WEEK to get this done because you're off work. "Well, everyone says it only takes a weekend to put a '70 F-Body clip on one of these trucks..." Thats becasue they've done dozens. It's going to take us two days just to get our measurements and build the jig to locate the core support and front bumper mounts. We have ONE week.. be here at 10am, plan on going home at 10pm. I don't want to hear that your kitchen needs to be remodeled, you have to watch the kids for your wife becuase she has class, you've got scout meetings or school meetings or anything else. The truck leaves on Friday, okay?"

Monday: "The guy I borrowed the spray gun for my kitchen cabinets needs the gun back, so I have to leave at 3 to paint my cabinets.
Tuesday: "She has a paper due on Wednedsay and I to watch the kids.
Wednesday: Baby sitter canceled, can't make it today.
Thursday: "I've got music lesson at 3pm... So I have to leave at 2... but I can be back after dinner."
Friday: "I have teacher conferences at 5pm."
Saturday: "Band practice in the morning, Scouts and soccer in the afternoon."
Sunday: "Church."

Finally, more than six months later I told him that if he didn't come over and get the truck mobile, I was going to rent a roll-back and have the truck dropped off in his driveway as it was: no frame ahead of the firewall, all our measurements and dimensions lost.

Nearly three years of working on my own stuff in the driveway, under a pop-up tent, because their stuff was taking up the only available work bay in my shop.

BUT, not one of them can say I'm a dick for not wanting to work on their stuff anymore. Every one of them knows I stepped up to help out my buddies, but they didn't.

-Brad

·
Registered
16,655 Posts
The problem with most things is once you repair it, then anything that goes wrong after that, you are the go to guy. Not always, but mostly. This is true whether it's cars or accounting or whatever your specialty may be.
Yep. You fix it (nice guy helping out), you own it till death do you part. Getting away from that responsibility can be like getting a divorce. One or both are going to leave with a bitter taste in their mouths.

And still I do it.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,543 Posts
and your projects get put on back burner. Not sure what to think of it. Buddy of mine has been trying to race his big block 57 Chevy for some time now, and other "mechanics" have been dicking him over. I got it straightened out for him and we've been trying to get to a local track for a couple weeks now only to get rained out. Last weekend finally got a good Friday night, and the cheap Chinese distributor that the other "mechanic" put in took a shit 100' off the line. Swapped the junk out for msd unit and he drove the car home on sunday. The guy has cancer, and been trying to help him out and have some fun. While I was working on his 57 sunday, an elderly neighbor stops by and wanted my opinion on his 86 Mercedes 560sl that a shop had been dicking him around with. He did not want to sink a lot of money into the car, but was not sure the shop was being honest with him. Went and trailered the car home for him last Wednesday, and now will be checking to see if the cam chain guides are shot and valves bent for him. Meanwhile, my 91 notch mustang project is still sitting waiting for the motor to be put back in, and my 64 Falcon pro street project is sitting patiently in the garage.......
I like working on stuff just as much as using it. So I'm regularly working on someone else's stuff and don't mind. Gives me something to enjoy when I don't have any plans for mine!

·
Registered
24,008 Posts
YOU know that years from now, when you are the last one standing, you WILL have memories that will come back and make you proud to have done these things for others.

·
Mother Hen
51,607 Posts
Yep. You fix it (nice guy helping out), you own it till death do you part. Getting away from that responsibility can be like getting a divorce. One or both are going to leave with a bitter taste in their mouths.

And still I do it.....:rolleyes:
Yeah, I still do it, too.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts

Also fits the saying "never sell a used car to friends or family"

·
Mother Hen
51,607 Posts
Also fits the saying "never sell a used car to friends or family"
I sold my BMW to my neighbor after the water pump locked up and shrapnel destroyed a ton of crap under the hood. He put it back together piece by piece and just had it completed, absolutely loved it, and someone tboned them and totaled it. The way my luck with cars has run this year, I almost felt like I had painted a target on them. Luckily though, those little cars are solid and they weren't badly injured cause they took one hell of a hit. He's trying to buy another one just like it.

·
Registered
18,874 Posts
helping your friend out who has cancer to get his car to the track to have some fun is a good thing, i would put my stuff on the back burner to make sure he had some fun wile he still could.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts