Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
El Diablo
12,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an acquaintance down the street that wanted me to fix a rust spot on the rear quarter of his Excursion. Took the stock flare off and the rust blowout ended up being the size of softball. Had to cut out the damage, make a patch, do bodywork, prime, and paint the quarter. The repair looks perfect.
He walks up with a quart of base coat only. I had to run and buy reducer, tape, clear coat and hardener, primer, undercoat, and burnt through some sandpaper. The stuff I bought added up to about $100, I charged him $250 total. I hate charging buddies for stuff, but he took my whole weekend plus a couple nights after work this week painting it.
I also bet any body shop would have had it for at least two weeks and charged him four times that. I still feel stupid for taking his money, guess that's what keeps guys from dumping all their shit off on you all the time, huh.:smt102

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Looks to me like you more than fair. If he's pissed off at 250.00, too damn bad. You have got to charge them something or they won't appreciate anything you do.

·
Registered
15,025 Posts
You're way too cheap. Can I come over next week and talk to you about a little rust spot?

·
iron head clevelands
8,248 Posts
not in a second , you'r acquaintance got a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If it aint for family or close friends, it aint free.

·
El Diablo
12,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks to me like you more than fair. If he's pissed off at 250.00, too damn bad. You have got to charge them something or they won't appreciate anything you do.
He wasn't pissed off at all, he was actually tickled that you couldn't tell. He saw the patch before I did the bodywork and was probably freaking that it would look like shit or something, lol.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
My family and close friends pay. I could work all day every day if it was free. If im working for free, it better be on my own stuff

·
Registered
19,328 Posts
He got a hell of a good deal , you are nuts if you feel bad about the $250. at the end of the day you did that work for about $100 after the supplies were paid for. He is the one who should feel bad about only giving you the $250

·
Read Only
5,966 Posts
I always gave people shit and did things for no charge to try to be a nice guy and morons I grew up with will send people I have never met before to me and ask me for free shit.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
My best friend is the body shop manager for a giant shop in town. Every time I take some thing to him he apologizes for what it costs. I tell him that "I did not bring it to you to be done Free, I brought it to you to be done RIGHT!!! It is always right and the price is fair. That's all I ask for and that's what I get from "Real" friends.

I glad he is happy with what you did. Maybe he will remember you when a real money making job come around.

·
El Diablo
12,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He got a hell of a good deal , you are nuts if you feel bad about the $250. at the end of the day you did that work for about $100 after the supplies were paid for. He is the one who should feel bad about only giving you the $250
I realize the price was a big favor, he has helped me with a little bit of machine shop stuff here and there - but nothing huge. He told me to charge him what I thought was fair, he wouldn't have let me do the work without me charging him. Not a best buddy, but an occasional stop and chat type buddy though.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I struggle terribly with this exact thing all the time anymore. For years I've made good money doing side work. Well, about 5-6 years ago I started to slow down and only doing work for good friends or people that my friends know well. The same time it started not being about money, but more to help someone out. I always try and cover my cost, but quite honestly a lot of times I don't when you consider the cost of Welding supplies, electricity, heat, etc etc. Also, I really enjoy some of the work I've done. This last winter I did my first 25.5 c/m cage that I bent all in house. Thankfully I never added up my hours or incidental costs as I'm sure there was no profit in it, LoL. I feel what your saying. For the most part I'm happy with what I charge, but there are a few people who have figured this out and tend to try and take advantage. That's when it sucks, and I wonder why the hell I do any of it.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
I usually end up feeling bad because I didn't charge enough.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
i learned long ago, never do anything for someone for free unless they are willing to return the favor. this is typically family and really good friends. i used to do work for friends all the time for free, but once i realized those friends are always too busy when i needed help, it became real easy to stop helping them for free.

oh BTW my daily has some rot bubbles forming on the rear wheel arches, ill give you $250 to fix it (you buy materials) :p

1 - 20 of 42 Posts