Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email today from a "concerned marine performance customer". He runs the Morel 4603 hyd roller in his builds, his buddy has Whipple Charged 598CID BBC with the Morel street series BBC lifter. His buddy was told by the shop that he gets parts from that the street lifter is fine to use in this application.

I told them under no circustance should that lifter be used in the marine enviroment.

Do we do this to ourselves for the all mighty dollar? Why would you let a total of $600 more on what has to be $80K in engines be where you screw the customer?

I get f'ning sick when I see this shit.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
So if the shop who recommended the lifter strongly and truly believed they would be adequate are they still crooks, or just misinformed? 2nd hand stories must be taken with a grain of salt before assumptions are made IMO

·
Registered
14,791 Posts
Lots of ignorance and crooks in the industry.
This. There's no shortage of good information in this industry for a supplier to be able to inform his customers properly. If he doesn't know any more about his product than that, he shouldn't be selling it IMO.

·
Long Live The King
105,162 Posts
Chris,

Why would anyone buy Procomp parts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got an email today from a "concerned marine performance customer". He runs the Morel 4603 hyd roller in his builds, his buddy has Whipple Charged 598CID BBC with the Morel street series BBC lifter. His buddy was told by the shop that he gets parts from that the street lifter is fine to use in this application.

I told them under no circustance should that lifter be used in the marine enviroment.

Do we do this to ourselves for the all mighty dollar? Why would you let a total of $600 more on what has to be $80K in engines be where you screw the customer?

Why is that?

·
Registered
49,816 Posts

your ethics question involves knowledge. Do they know the difference ?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Performance industry is full of people that lack integrity and intelligence. For every class act, there are 10 degenerates looking to get over on someone.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not enough information to determine if this is an ethics issue.
I can agree the recommendation to use that lifter is a bad one, simply because I have knowledge that enables me to say this.

You first have to ask if the engine build has the knowledge? If he doesn't, that's ignorance. If he does and is advising an improperly specified part hoping for a failure that will then bring more business to repair the "mess" this could cause...now that's an ethics issue!

Just don't know enough to determine which it is.

Either way that situation is very wrong on so many fronts!
Feel bad for people that get "taken" like this....

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Don'tchaknow...someone always knows better than the designer. They've always spent a few seconds to know they know more...:(

·
YB Liar and Chief
29,163 Posts
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. I hate it when they don't drink too.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Chris you know how we have talked about some of the experiences I had when getting back into racing and you know how I feel about people who care more about the profit margin than they do a satisfied repeat customer.
Its very sad but it happens every day someplace in our racing world. Saddest of all is one bad deal like this can sour a guy clear out of trusting anyone ever again and leave the impression that the whole industry is rotten from stem to stearn and thats just not the case. Sure one can argue that with the information thats available to guys today its more than ever buyer beware but where is the trust and firm handshake that once was as good as any legal contract if not more so.
Sadly today if your not informed and done your online research by reading and asking questions from dumb old farmers like me in places like the Bullet and get lucky enough to have someone like you step in and give me the truth straight out well thankfully there is still honest good guys who will try to help out and get you what you want and need and then go out of their way to keep you as a friend and customer.
Randy

·
Registered
56,160 Posts
It probably has nothing to do with ethics, and everything to do with judgement. And he might have experience with their intended use and have experienced no problems in that application. Be careful not to jump to conclusions....

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Plenty of big name shops have no ethics, I have found out the hard way. Makes me want to give up racing. Many of us have a budget and spending twice as much because of poor ethics is a killer. Plus waiting years for work/parts is also as big problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts