Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brainstorming about the possibility of buying the required equipment to properly refill the small CO2 [10oz] bottles we employ for shifting and throttle control.

Other than the "mother" bottle, what else is required and who sells the items?

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Easy. Scales, and know the tare weight of the target bottle. Proper hose with proper fittings, heavy gloves, if needed rag or whatever else to handle the valves

If the bottle is new and empty, or used / unknown, have it tested and if necessary evacuated and filled initially. Or if you have access to a vacuum pump "the first time" evacuate it and then fill

REFILL: Simply chill the target bottle in a freezer. No need to empty or evacuate unless there's a reason to believe it's contaminated

Hook up hose. Crack source bottle, crack fitting on hose at target bottle to bleed the hose. Do this with source bottle UP for vapor, not liquid.

Optional, invert source bottle, you can crack valve again to bleed to liquid, but this is tricky AND YOU CAN GET BIT

With source inverted and target upright, slowly open both valves. Allow to fill, if it is slow and your freezer is handily a chest, you can stick the thing in the freezer with the lid closed on the hose. Weigh the thing and get an idea of where you stand.

On a warm day with the target bottle in the freezer for a period, and the source bottle at outdoor temp (not in the sun) this should normally be a one-shot deal or maybe two. Close source valve, if you are lucky the hose will warm a little and bleed off liquid so you don't waste much, then close target valve, Weigh bottle with hose connected and decide if "you need more" then double check with hose disconnected. BE CAREFUL cracking hose after filling, it can contain liquid. Wear appropriate clothing. long sleeves, shoes, pants, and googles. Heavy gloves

If you can afford it, having two source bottles makes things faster and easier, as the source will cool and loose pressure. With a "Y" hose and two source bottles, you can fill til the first source "dies" from cooling, then top off with the second bottle

You don't fill these with pressure readings, you fill by weight, as pressure changes with temperature

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used Trinity Supply Inc. on ebay. $70 shipped for their co2 fill station. 2 ball valves, 2 tank nuts and a nice crimped high pressure hose.
I used Beverage elements on ebay for a 20lb aluminum tank with a dip tube.It was about $130. I didn't want anything bigger @ the track.
A digital hanging scale can be had for under $20
Twenty lbs of co2 was about $25.

As far as tips,get a bottle with a dip tube,some way to get a temp difference{cooler,heating pad,hair drier}, be conservative, I only put .6 lb in never over.65 lb

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I used Trinity Supply Inc. on ebay"

The listing has so many choices and not being up to speed about what is required, do you have the specific kit number or a specific link to it?

At first, glance that looks like the source to take care of my needs once I know the kit to buy.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did anyone ever try paintball stuff? A 68 cubic inch 4500psi carbon fiber paintball tank is super lightweight and the output is regulated to 800psi. You can buy a cheap Ebay compressor for aroud $250. The paintball tanks are $150.
I don't have anything on my car that needs air but I do play paintball, so I was just curious if anyone tried using it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts