Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what would be the best to use..going to cut the bottom out a ls3 intake to get to the runners to port and also put radius rods before the intake runners opening..wouldnt mind something maybe i could use also to maybe make a radius around the rest of the intake opening beside just the rods..

epoxy would be to keep the rod in place

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ask Darin M....cut and ported his own intake when he ported the heads for his
camaro...

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what others have used seem to be jb weld an jb plastic epoxy..i grabbed some plastic epoxy,but wondering how it may hold up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Go to any marine store and they have the serious epoxy like Marine and more. Pegatanke is awesome, as well, Napa has it. It's been my experience w/ JB that it's very brittle w/ time.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got the plastic bonder but did see a qwick stick plastic one that said fuel on it even though it is a fuel injected motor..im just bonding a alum 3/8th rod to the side an mouth of the runner on the inside..still thinking of cutting the bottom ouy and making a cover this way i can get to all the runners and blend stuff an so on

·
Registered
851 Posts
i got the plastic bonder but did see a qwick stick plastic one that said fuel on it even though it is a fuel injected motor..im just bonding a alum 3/8th rod to the side an mouth of the runner on the inside..still thinking of cutting the bottom ouy and making a cover this way i can get to all the runners and blend stuff an so on
That's certainly a lot of squeezing for not much juice.

Yeah, the intake and labor are "free", but I'd invest the same amount of labor on making something to sell and take that money and spend it where it will provide better results.

·
Big Trev is a great guy!
16,548 Posts
Splash Zone, AKA Z-Spar or A-788 is what you need. It's a pain to work with, but what I do is combine the 2 parts underwater with my hands in a bucket, then regularly dip my hands in the bucket when shaping. Without the moisture, its a sticky, horrible mess to mix and apply.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not for nothing but said an done it will perform just as good, if not better then a fast 102 which run $900 before fuel rails..most shops charge $400-$500 to port an rod mod a ls3 intake..doing this is worth15-20hp at the wheels.

i have $170 into the intake,$30 on materials an ill have 4 to 5hrs max into it..right now im done an just need to put the bars in if i dont do some other stuff to it.

That's certainly a lot of squeezing for not much juice.

Yeah, the intake and labor are "free", but I'd invest the same amount of labor on making something to sell and take that money and spend it where it will provide better results.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Splash Zone, AKA Z-Spar or A-788 is what you need. It's a pain to work with, but what I do is combine the 2 parts underwater with my hands in a bucket, then regularly dip my hands in the bucket when shaping. Without the moisture, its a sticky, horrible mess to mix and apply.
thanks for that tip an trick..

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
still waiting on the splash zone to come in but i have another question how strong is that stuff..i have a 5/8ths alum rd bar i want to attach to the roof of the intake do you think it will have a issue..i still have the jb plastic bond so i could use that or maybe grab a 5/8ths oak dowl an use that so its lighter then just cover it in splash zone..

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Splash zone is some tough stuff. I have 5 sets of heads that are filled in the intake port similar to the ones that Chad Spier posted in this thread. I have had no problem with the epoxy staying in place. As others have said its gummy and gooey to work with but stays in place when done. I have not used it to actually glue another piece of material to a substrate but most likely it would do fine.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heres where im at now,,runners went from 9"L to 7"..was going to use the rod down the middle and keep cutting the runners back but now thinking im going to take rods,mill a 90 slot and epoxy them to the new bottom entrance to give it a nice transition..still have alot more to do but still waiting on the splash zone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts