Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Tony, sorry to hear about your bad luck on the engine. Knowing that particular set of heads, I think they are good enough indeed to make more serious horsepower at the upper RPM levels, especially after the rocker stand upgrade. But for your use they are way overkill in my opinion. They should bring a pretty price to the right guy who can really use them to get more power. Then you could start over from scratch and build a conventional head 565 with Head Hunter heads and a cast single intake manifold and have great power at a lower RPM level and not need any power adder.

·
T/S 368E
30,565 Posts

Found these when looking for something else.
These are definitely #427's, the casting numbers were still there!!

HPIM1361 by J L, on Flickr

HPIM1360 by J L, on Flickr

HPIM1359 by J L, on Flickr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey mark, yeah I agree with your thoughts on this. Unfortunately had a random rod failure for what seems no reason as we had just freshened it last winter haven't looked at it to close yet. I'll get with you some time as you may have an avenue to sell this topend. I am working a deal on a stocker and gonna sell truck would make a great ride for someone.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Tony, sorry to hear about your bad luck on the engine. Knowing that particular set of heads, I think they are good enough indeed to make more serious horsepower at the upper RPM levels, especially after the rocker stand upgrade. But for your use they are way overkill in my opinion. They should bring a pretty price to the right guy who can really use them to get more power. Then you could start over from scratch and build a conventional head 565 with Head Hunter heads and a cast single intake manifold and have great power at a lower RPM level and not need any power adder.
Mark, sorry but I would STRONGLY disagree with the "sell the EPS 427's and get Head-Hunters"!

Sounds like he might sell what's left after the rod failure and get a stocker.

BUT if that deal doesn't go thru, he is better off with the 427's. These heads complete fresh with Ti valves, Ti retainers with rockers and intake manifolds are usually around $4,000.00. He would be what DOUBLE that for unported HH MC with Ti valves and jesel/TD shaft rockers? They still wouldn't run like that against these EPD 427's.

Now not knowing what is left in the shortblock to salvage also says something. IF he wanted to put the motor back together, a cranks is a crank, rods are rods. But maybe 5 or 6 piston/rods are still ok, so doesn't need a whole new set of pistons.

IF he is in a class for no weight adder for these heads, they should outrun 97% of the conventional heads out there. I spoke with Tony Bishoff at lengths about HIS head hunters vs my EPD Pontiacs. He didn't think I would run as well as it did with HIS HH's? So why would he spend all the money converting to conventional heads, to slow down????

I would send his EPD's to get current tech tune-up IF he does keep them for a couple grand. 520+ CFM, better flame travel with the flat top piston, and still a lot less $$$ to run really hard (if that's what he wants).

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
1/8 mile bracket S10 truck. It is fast, but not needed at local tracks to run Super Pro class. I do agree with you the EPD heads are good stuff even today. Just not needed on a non max effort bracket race combo.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Mark, I fully agree there not needed for those times either in a "gas" class style car. Just figured he would be spending alot of $$$ to replace. I'm not sure he could buy AFR 335's for what he would get for these heads COMPLETE!, then cam, pushrods, springs, rockers, valve covers and intake.

Sorry but these old Pontiac heads just bring the $$$ that's for sure. I know 70 had his forsale for a while. I think it was complete with intake for $4K???

·
T/S 368E
30,565 Posts

Mine sold with heads, sheetmetal intake, fresh rockers still in the bags, stands, covers, piston mold.
IIRC it was more than that to a guy that raced a class requiring conventional heads only,
and since they had a GM number casted in, they qualified.

It did take a long time, maybe 3 years??

·
Registered
5,302 Posts

Mine sold with heads, sheetmetal intake, fresh rockers still in the bags, stands, covers, piston mold.
IIRC it was more than that to a guy that raced a class requiring conventional heads only,
and since they had a GM number casted in, they qualified.

It did take a long time, maybe 3 years??

I knew it was a while, your asking price was ???

·
T/S 368E
30,565 Posts

Hell I don't remember for sure, that was 3 sets of heads ago, but I think I was asking high, and got about $6,000??
The jesels were in the bags, so he knew they were fresh, and he didn't have time to wait for an intake to get built.

The reason it was so hard to sell were a bunch of rookies saw all the welding and thought they were junk.
I got that comment about 75% of the time. I was accused a few times of lying about them being blown up!!
I tried to explain they were 18* and now they were 14.5 ish and they didn't understand??

IIRC, a couple of guys didn't even know who Steve Schmidt was.

·
T/S 368E
30,565 Posts
Found another old photo

Reactions: Jp outlaw
41 - 50 of 50 Posts