Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi i have a set off EPD heads
what head studs should i have for this heads

do someone now a part number i would be verry happy

thanks

·
T/S 368E
29,005 Posts

If they are anything like mine, you have to measure and mix & match.
Those things are old as dirt, and every damn part was custom!!!

Good luck.

Reactions: kwik-cat

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
(I hope you have the rocker stands for those.) Just call ARP and tell them how many long studs above the exhaust ports, 4 or 5. Yours looks like 4 from the picture. It may help to use a dial caliper and take the measurement from the washer surface down to the block and then the depth into block threads, the amount above the head you need for the nuts and washers and add them together. The EP598 EPD heads I had used Dart Big Chief stud kit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes have rocker stands and jesel rockers
ok i will talk to ARP

how can you se if its EP598 heads ?

Thanks

·
I kill parts
10,039 Posts
Going by the Pontiac logo cast on them as well as the port geometry I would assume they are a modified "427" based casting #.

I believe the Dart stud kit was more typical of the 386 based casting(Olds head).

·
T/S 368E
29,005 Posts

Not sure from the photo, I do see a lot of welding, but mine were rolled and had new holes drilled for the studs.
Mine were 18* #427 models and they ended up at 14.4* custom everything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The DRCE head bolt kit should work . You will have to lathe the top off of the ones under rocker stands for clearance.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Going by the Pontiac logo cast on them as well as the port geometry I would assume they are a modified "427" based casting #.
I believe the Dart stud kit was more typical of the 386 based casting(Olds head).
Not sure from the photo, I do see a lot of welding, but mine were rolled and had new holes drilled for the studs.
Mine were 18* #427 models and they ended up at 14.4* custom everything.
I have those too. I put them on an flat table and used a 12 in vernier caliper to measure the depths of the holes and ordered from there.

Those are NOT Pontiac "427" Castings! I have 427 casting on my 706 Fulton motor. These are the later 38? casting as the ports much more spread then the 427 castings. My intakes with NOT interchange from the 38? to the 427 due to the spreading of the ports. Mine we also 14 deg. like 1970 said as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks everybody

i found the studs for this heads

here are a picture of rockers and stands
on engine block it says JB 2000
is this a company name or is it somthing else

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like old pro stock motor could be DRCE block if has no oil filter boss starter on drivers side. But it should say olds on it. Those were short deck motors 9.90 deck. Some companies made aftermarket tall deck blocks not sure of names I have one its says BHP its 11.1 deck. This is a pick of my drce 1 565 you can see it says olds.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Have no idea on the JB 2000! Probably the initials of the owner where this deal was put together in the year 2000!

No way this was a Pro Stock motor in 2000 as they were light yrs ahead of this design by the. But they do look alot like my Pro Stock heads/motor from yrs earlier. I would have to dig into my notes on when my 498 did run PS. Thinking late 80s early 90s.

I'm away right now so can't check out much. My heads are also EPDs done like this. I think my motor was Frank Iocconio's motor originally. Then it went to Mike P who I bought it off 10+ yrs ago. I do know it was competitive the first and second yrs the 4.900 BS motors came out.

·
T/S 368E
29,005 Posts

Mine was off Steve Schmidt's personal car.
Like I said, there was hundreds of hours into them with the rolling, welding, epoxy, custom everything
and the one piece stands had to take a long ass time to get perfect.

IIRC, mine ran a 6.98 best, so that was a LONG time ago.

Reactions: SST469C

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Funny you mention Steve. Mike was not running that well at a event when weather postponed or canceled it. Steve offered to put my motor on his dyno to see where they were losing power. Steve went first for the baseline. My motor made 7 MORE lbs/ft tq and 15Hp more the Steve's motor on Steve's own dyno.

They concluded the chassis was the reason the car wasn't running the numbers.

·
Registered
27,441 Posts
When I worked at Bryants in the 80's he built a lot of engines with those heads.

They were very soft, you could only put the plugs in finger tight.

Take it easy on all threads,

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I believe Olsen had the EPD castings made at Brodix to his design and then his machinist finished them. The ones I bought from him were completely hand finished along with a sheet metal tunnel ram and shaft rockers. Best set of heads I ever had and I did not have any spark plug/soft issues with them.

·
T/S 368E
29,005 Posts

I know mine were very old, the intake was rectangle ports and they epoxyed the runners into ovals.
So it was before they started making the proper runners like they have now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I worked at Bryants in the 80's he built a lot of engines with those heads.

They were very soft, you could only put the plugs in finger tight.

Take it easy on all threads,
You are so far behind Larry you will never know... Sorry but that is the dumbest comment I have ever heard.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts