1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Aviation Section
25,981 Posts
Thanks for that, I put it on my favorites! Dave

·
Registered
13,185 Posts
Rolls Royce Merlin, what an engine, the 2 remaining Lancasters flew over here last Saturday.....I got a little bit emotional, it never goes away.
I wish the "Halifax" bomber was still flying, the people in my Town paid for it in the War out of their ration allowance. Very emotional

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use to build Rolls Royce Griffons for Unlimited Hydroplanes. Had my hands on the development (for an Unlimited team) for their 2500 cid Packard program. I love the sound an old V12 sounds at full song. I have P-51's, Bf109, P-47's and many other cool airplanes fly right over me all the time. Did any of you see in that website about the XP-47 that went 505/mph at altitude making it the fastest fighter of WWII? And some of those massive early X-24 series engines, some nearly 6,000 cid?
A brother in law sent me a training manual for the 2500 Packard in the Higgins Torpedo boats. (They had three of them). Cool reading material.

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
28,142 Posts
Great stuff. I thought that the Miller marine engines was quite interesting. This design went on to become the Offenhauser 4 cylinder design that ruled Indy for many years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts