Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any experience with enginequest heads? after having a baby boy dont have as much free money floating around so have to get by with what i can afford :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,519 Posts
never heard of them. I am sure they are like any other off shore head/brand. Buy them bare and load them with reliable stuff.

·
The Phantom Machinist
1,916 Posts
I see a lot of EQ small block heads. Real nice castings. Made down under somewhere? NZ or AU? Not sure.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Their BB heads are pretty nice for the money. Tons better that the procomp junk.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If they are like the small block heads, not so great. Customer brought in a set of assembled brand new sbc Vortec style cyl heads for a short block I built. They were horrible right out of the box. Had to recut all the valve seats and valve faces. One head had regular springs with no dampner and 60 lbs on the seat. Other head had springs with dampners and 120 lbs on the seat. spring pockets were all over the place. Came with no rocker studs. Customer was pissed after I charged him to go through them and install new springs and set up the installed heights. Oh well I didn't supply them.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,041 Posts
Like any high volume company, a few bad ones always get through. That doesn't mean every head is shit. Found this on offshoreonly.com

For those who may be questioning whether or not these heads are junk, I suggest doing your own homework. Not sure if any of you are familiar with Joe Petelle from HVH products, but he has had a hand in this particulars head design. I spoke with Joe in regards to these heads, and while I did not purchase from him, he assured me he has had no issues with these heads.

HVH Products - Cylinder Heads - High Velocity Heads

Ken Abbott of Abbott Racing heads is very knowledgeable on these heads, and has done many, many of these heads on some big power truck pull engines. I also spoke with him regarding these heads, and he has nothing but good things to say about them.

Abbott Racing Heads

Chad Speier . Chad also has used many sets of these heads, and has a CNC program for them I believe.

SPEIER RACING HEADS - SRH Contact/INFO

Eric Weingartner of Weingartner racing. Also has used these heads, and makes some serious airflow with them.

Weingartner Racing

Oso's own Alex Haxby has used these heads as well. A low boost marine 540, 900hp with the 320's, and was happy with them.

About Haxby Speed & Marine | haxbyspeed.com

These guys are not fly by night guys. They have been around the block in this business. Personally, I have zero interest in whether or not EQ sells 10 of these heads, or 10 thousand. The entire purpose of this thread, was to show my experience with them. I paid less than 900 bucks for a pair of these heads bare, shipped to my door. I dont know the exact amount I have in them after porting the chambers, valve job, cleaning , assembly, and parts ready to bolt on, but I can surely say, it was MUCH less, like thousands less, than what a set of Assembled darts or afr's would have cost me. I actually have a valve spring tailored to my application, not a generic catalog spring thats one size fits all, a good quality Durabond exhaust seat (not a basic ductile iron seat), Ferrea super alloy valves, proper spring hardware, and valve guide clearances applicable for my application. Also, if you do decide to buy these heads, you can directly talk to their guy who just gave his direct phone line for any issues one may have.
:smt102

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
The pair of EQ Vortecs I bought had quite a bit of casting flash in the ports. It's not a big deal if you have a die grinder, a carbide burr, and 5-10 minutes, but as others have said, don't expect to pull them out of the box bolt them on and go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts