Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting motor plates in my car. I'm thinking about setting my engine back approximately 3.5 inches. That would put the number 1 spark plug 2 inches behind my front spindle.

My car has the factory subframe, 8.50 cage, 29.5x10.5 slicks, and about 3500 lbs.

Anyone with a similar car have experience doing this? Was it worth the extra work? Pics would be great if you have them.

·
Registered
68,009 Posts
Anytime you can move front-end weight to the rear end, that's always a plus. Unless you are making gobs of HP.

That said, are you going to modify the firewall?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I moved the engine back about an inch in my Nova and that's all I could do with a stock firewall. Sure caused a lot of fitment issues for only an inch.....

I'm assuming a small block ???

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
My chassis guy pushed my engine back and up one inch both directions for a front and mid plate BBC(69 Nova). I have not idea why he did it but I trusted him. Car works good. I did have to cut an access panel in the trans hump so I could get to the bell housing bolts. Was not a big deal...I had a couple of junk parts cars so I just cut a panel out of one of them.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I moved the engine back about an inch in my Nova and that's all I could do with a stock firewall. Sure caused a lot of fitment issues for only an inch.....

I'm assuming a small block ???
This is what I have generally seen. Unless you are doing the whole front end to go with it, moving the engine back only creates more issues.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up not setting the engine back. Once I started test fitting the engine with the midplate on, I could see I was going to have to cut up the firewall more than I was willing to.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts