Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i was running my 383 in the shop last week to make sure the new radiator and water pump were up to snuff. Idle circuit was rich so i ended up fouling plugs. I pulled the plugs and they were slightly fouled, since the engine only has a very small amount of run time I cleaned and reinstalled the plugs, I will put new ones in once I get the idle circuit set right. So I reinstalled the plugs leaned out the idle circuit from 1.5 turns out on both carbs to 1 turn out on both. Tried starting and nothing. I pumped the throttle and it fired up revved to the moon and shut off. Tried it again and it did the same thing. No idle or anything. It seems like the engine is just running on The squirters and it not actually puling fuel through the carb. Fuel pre sure is unchanged and showing 6lbs on the gauge. WTF is going on? I took the bowl off the one carb and it looked fine. I blew carb cleaner through the jets and they did not seem clogged. Is it a vacuum leak I developed somehow? It just seems odd because I did not have any problems before and did not mess with the carbs other than adjusting the idle circuit. I even went back to 1.5 turns out and it made no difference... Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
If it "revs to the moon" its getting more air than it should to idle. I would look for the air leak.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got new intake gaskets... Heading out to the garage gonna pull the manifold, check the carbs again reinstall and hope for the nest

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I had a coil go bad on me, and it would start rev up, then die out. It would act like it was running out of fuel. The more you tried to run it the worse it got. Let it set overnight, and fire it up it would start up and run for about 30 seconds normal then start acting stupid again. Not saying its your problem, just the problem i had.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
turns out it was a vaccum leak in the tunnel ram base to top gasket... replaced it it fired right up and idled fine... i know im a dumbass

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
turns out it was a vaccum leak in the tunnel ram base to top gasket... replaced it it fired right up and idled fine... i know im a dumbass
Nah, don't take it too hard man. It happens to the best of us! Good luck with your combo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts