Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently having a problem with my engine when my Nitrous is activated. it is on a full throttle switch and is a fogger system. When i go down the track my tach is bouncing back and forth and the motor is breaking up. I replaced my 7al2 box and my 2 step box and by passed my start engine retard and my engine still does it. when i make a motor pass it is real clean. i have redone some of the ground wires and replaced the plugs, wires, and ignition boxes. Any body have answers or suggestions. All responses are appreciated!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Dry kit? What are you doing for fuel enrichment?

Plugs gapped down?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright well Steve this is Greg my dad is Bill Sanford from RI with the nova. You did his intake with one of your fogger systems. It has 36 nitrous jets and 32 fuel. We went to the dyno and motor runs clean. But when nitrous is activated we get pops and skips and flames out the exhaust. We phased the distributer and changed the coil. we also put new plugs with a smaller gap in them. We also were changing the fuel pressure to see if it helped. It didn't do much. We are still chasing problems after the day at the dyno.

·
Trevor Stripling
1,519 Posts
Do you have a front drive distributor?

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I had "tach bounce" issues before and it was a grounding problem.Is your engine grounded good.

·
Super Moderator
12,183 Posts
I TALKED TO MIKE DEZ AS WELL AS YOUR FATHER TODAY AND SHARED SOME OF MY THOUGHTS ON WHAT MAY BE GOING ON ?? I'M GUESSING YOU GUYS DIDN'T MAKE IT BACK TONIGHT BECAUSE I ASK MIKE TO GIVE A CALL IF YOU WERE GOING TO TEST IT SOME MORE TONIGHT. LONG STORY SHORT FROM THE NUMBERS I WAS HEARING I'M THINKING THE TUNE UP GOT WAY OFF BASE ?? HOPEFULLY WE CAN GET YOU BACK ON TRACK SOON... SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, JUST WAS ABOUT HALF WAY THROUGH WHEN I NOTICED... THANKS, SJ

·
Trevor Stripling
1,519 Posts
Nitrous problem

The reason I asked is because I had a poping problem when I sprayed and it turned out to be the spark jumping to a screw under the edge of the distributor cap. It ran fine on motor, but would jump under increaded cylider pressure. I replaced the metal screw with a nylon and no more poping. It was a Jesel front drive.

no i don't have a front drive distributer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve we are going to the dyno again on Tuesday and we are changing the tune up to the smaller one you told Mike. We are also replacing the eye on the crank trigger. Also will having a carburetor that is borderline too small on motor affect a nitrous run?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
we brought the car to the dyno last night and made some progress. This time when we dynoed it we would bring the car to full throttle then activate the nitrous as opposed to turning the nitrous on then bringing up the rpm's and hitting the full throttle switch. this allowed us to see a little more. we found that the car surges almost when it misses. With the surges there are flames out the exhaust. We leaned out our tune up and brought down the jetting and tuned it with wideband and it looked good but we still were getting the misses. We ruled out the nitrous system having a problem and we are thinking it is a spark issue. We did replace the eye on the crank trigger and we checked all the valve lash just to be sure and everything checked out all right. Also we did a compression check and everything was still good. Any more suggestions would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
12,183 Posts
Great to hear your making a little ground. I would be careful if you leaned the system way down while on the dyno, and then go back to the real world (track). If the system is turning on and off, it could show a false rich on the A/F.. Be careful, as it made quite a few good runs before the troble started.

Not sure if you have changed the WOT switch, or relays that power the system ?? If your in question of the system turning on and off (surge) I would hook a tattle tale light to the power side of the solenoids to see if it flashes on and off as the car surges.. You'll be surprised how many times I have done this and found the issues... Good Luck.. Steve

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thankfully we have figured the problem out. we went to the dyno tonight after changing the full throttle switch, nitrous relay, put a programmable digital 7, and changed the coil wire. we dont know what one caused the problem but it works and we are going to the races tomorrow.

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
Thankfully we have figured the problem out. we went to the dyno tonight after changing the full throttle switch, nitrous relay, put a programmable digital 7, and changed the coil wire. we dont know what one caused the problem but it works and we are going to the races tomorrow.
My guess is you had a bosch relay and it was junk.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That relay really could have been it because im not sure if a new ignition box would have done anything because we already had two 7al2's in it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts