Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Long Live The King
109,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So you ever wonder how strong those engine lift plates are that bolt to your intake manifold?:

Well I found out last week.

I've used one for years.... never worried about it after a trip to the Crower ranch about 12 yrs ago to drop off my engine to Danny Crower and Bruce Crower told me how strong they were and as long as the bolts are tight the threads in the intake manifold can handle some serious tensile stress. I found out how much stress.

My engine weighs 620lbs oil pan to intake manifold:

I load and un-load it with a "portable" engine hoist

Last week when loading the engine in my truck to head off the Westech to dyno it I almost had a disaster. I was loading the engine Monday night with a cold piece of equipment. Sometimes the hydraulic valves stick when the engine/systems are cold. After I lifted my engine from the engine stand I went to swing it into the back of my truck ( engine was about 3.5 ft off the ground. I pushed on the left peddle and nothing happened. So it tapped it with my foot and nothing happened, I waited a second and did it again. Oh Shit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The boom swung a good 4ft to the left like you swinging a bat.....problem was my 620lbs 565" Ford was attached to it with a chain. The engine just "rag dolled" behind the boom, at first I was just surprised it didn't yank the threads out of the manifold and the engine just fall to the ground, then I was horrified when the boom stopped swinging and the engine was in free flight behind it attached to a chain, oh shit what was going to happen when 620lbs reached the end of the chain......................................

The engine hit the end of the chain with a big "whack" and snapped back and dropped under the bucket hanging by the chain. My heart skipped a beat or two. Holy shit I just almost "F"ed up a very nice engine of mine.

The end result of the swinging boom and 620 lbs of 565" Ford:

The plate was slightly bent and that's it.

Much thanks to CV Products for making a quality part. I owe you guys one.

The next day the dyno time went pretty well:

and to think it almost didn't happen

G-

Jon

·
Banned
28,142 Posts
Good thing the shepard didnt bite it, it would have been a goner for sure!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I never ever use those plates. When you start heavily porting on runners and plennum areas, you can literally rip the top of the manifold off. I always go to head accessory holes and 4 point it.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Good to hear that you didnt hurt anything !!!

And this is also a reason to purchase a tool like this from a reputable manufacter !!! I wouldnt expect the same results from a Harbor Fright model ....

·
Long Live The King
109,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not just make sure everything is warmed up and ready to go first?

you're not my dad so................phuck off ;)

I was thinking the same thing as the engine was in free-flight. :smt103

G :cool:

·
Long Live The King
109,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good to hear that you didnt hurt anything !!!

And this is also a reason to purchase a tool like this from a reputable manufacter !!! I wouldnt expect the same results from a Harbor Fright model ....
That thought had crossed my mind.

G :eek:

·
Long Live The King
109,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow...yep Ive wondered too.
You are a LUCKY man....LOL
I'd rather win the Lotto....but I would have cried that's for damn sure.

Talk about dogging a bullet.

G

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
I've had several times that one of those plates was used to not only lift the engine and trans connected to it, but also to lift the front end of the car at the same time. Probably a good 1500 pounds or so on it, maybe more. So much that I was worried I was going to break my hoist. I've put those things through a ton of abuse over the years, but I am always careful to never leave my hands, feet or body under the engine in case one ever lets go. I've bent one once when I forgot to put one nut on a corner, but other than that, never had one fail.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Why dont they make those out of 1/2" plate or something not soo thin. Shit, ill start making them if there is enough demand.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.