Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Wearing my WWII helmet
19,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a huge fan of the sound of a good running V8. I despise the sounds of V6 and 4 cylinders. I have noticed that commercials always give horsepower numbers for the various engines available in the respective cars. I assume they do this because they know that American consumers like big horsepower. My question is why do they try to make V6 and 4 cylinder have high HP? Let's hear some discussion/opinion on this. In theory; should HP output be the same, given similar CI, cam, port design etc? How about fuel economy? If a V8 makes 350HP, does a V6 of the same HP, consume more, less, or the same fuel? What of MFG costs? How much does it cost to engineer and build 4cyl, V6, V8 engine of, let's say 350HP? I realize that there are space limitations on some models, but take the Camaro as an example. You can get a V6 or a V8. Why does Chevrolet even bother with advertising HP on the V6 model?
I'm bored at work and thinking about useless stuff!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Just my opinion and not a educated one but here goes. Maybe the smaller engines 4cyl and 6cyl engines weigh less and run more effieceint when your not mashing on the loud pedal. Those two factors would help with gas mileage. Somthing like having your cake and eating it to. V8 power and 4cyl gas mileage. Win Win.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts