Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my motor to have it gone though over the winter. I have a universal fit Ramjet on there now. I hate it. Fits like shit all the way around. Who do you use? I am thinking about a custom fit one from DRE. It's just a stock block BBC in a 2nd Gen Camaro. No motor plate, although I probably could use one of those too.

·
RED ROCKET
8,629 Posts
Kevlar dj safety diaper with Kevlar straps. mrhockey is a dealer for them on here.

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I've got a DRE, been on for a few years. My headers fit so close on the drivers side I have to pry to slip the diaper through. It has Kevlar panels so it doesn't burn, just turns brown.

·
Registered
16,815 Posts
I pulled my motor to have it gone though over the winter. I have a universal fit Ramjet on there now. I hate it. Fits like shit all the way around. Who do you use? I am thinking about a custom fit one from DRE. It's just a stock block BBC in a 2nd Gen Camaro. No motor plate, although I probably could use one of those too.
I have a DRE semi-custom for BBC also in a 2nd Gen Camaro (1970) with stock front suspension ,no motor plate .It fits ok , I had them put Kevlar straps on it where they pass under the headers to tie the front of diaper to the rear around the motor mounts after the nylon ones burnt in half. When it was at DRE for the strap "upgrade" I had them make a bit more room around the oil filter . To tell the truth , I am not impressed with it for the almost $500 it cost me.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a DRE semi-custom for BBC also in a 2nd Gen Camaro (1970) with stock front suspension ,no motor plate .It fits ok , I had them put Kevlar straps on it where they pass under the headers to tie the front of diaper to the rear around the motor mounts after the nylon ones burnt in half. When it was at DRE for the strap "upgrade" I had them make a bit more room around the oil filter . To tell the truth , I am not impressed with it for the almost $500 it cost me.
OK, thanks for the info. I'll get a quote from them but I'll certainly look at DJ Safety and some others as well. Not happy with the universal fit for $150 or so. Definitely don't want to be pissed off at spending $500 and still not like it.

·
Maderator
16,222 Posts
I have installed a few DRE diapers on cars in my shop and have been very happy with them, that is also what is going on my dry sump combo now

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've had the same universal fit DRE for years. When it was wet sumped I broke a piece of sheet aluminum in the shape of C Channel . I stuck that on the pan to take up the slack, sounds goofy but it worked. I have the same diaper on my dry sump deal now. It's a PITA to get on but its on there. I called DRE early this year about a custom one and Dennis said it would be too far out on it. If you need a custom one order it now.

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,839 Posts
This is my second DRE diaper. Love it. No issues and fit for my stock type motor mounts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use DRE on mine. Have a little slack around where my turbo drain fitting is. Which I figured since I didn't have Dennis make it a custom fit deal. But I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I talked to Dennis at DRE today. One with a flat bottom is $400 with Kevlar. A stepped one for the oil pan is $550. I have the the flat bottom shipping this week to me. He said to test fit it and make sure I am happy with it or give him a call back.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^ Get the Kevlar straps that go past the motor mounts cause the nylon ones will burn if you have inside frame headers.
I checked with Dennis on the straps. Don't need the Kevlar ones. They mount to the accessory holes in the heads in front and back. The don't come close to the headers. That is the same way my current diaper mounted. They never got any type of burns on them at all.

·
Registered
16,815 Posts
I checked with Dennis on the straps. Don't need the Kevlar ones. They mount to the accessory holes in the heads in front and back. The don't come close to the headers. That is the same way my current diaper mounted. They never got any type of burns on them at all.
ok cool.Mine also mount to the accessory holes,but I have a strap the connects the front of the diaper to the rear of the diaper in the motor mount area. That is the strap that I had him change to Kevlar after it burnt up from the headers. I guess your diaper is different, if not you will see what I mean. Not trying to start a pissing match, just trying to help you out with the issues I had cause we have pretty much the same car with a BBC and motor mounts. I have a semi-custom diaper that could be the difference

1 - 20 of 37 Posts