Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 355c.i. motor 13.1 comp. dart sportsman iron heads mild pocket porting hydraulic roller cam , victor jr. intake with a holley 830 carb. 12 bolt rear w/4:10 gears. now i ran this car (69 nova) last year with a stock 10 bolt 1 wheel peel and it went 12:[email protected] since then i up graded to the 12 bolt set-up.went 12:02 113.is this respectful? on the other hand i'm being told that the intake/carb combo is robbing some power,since my power range is up to 6500 r.p.m. i'm in the process of changing the headers i got 1 5/8'' going with a 1 3/4'' tube now thanx,Jeff

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
That large of a carb probably helped you before (being soft on the bottom) with an open rear, but now you have the 12 bolt. Not sure exactly what the specs are but thats pretty respectful for a hydraulic roller.

Rich

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx for the reply just trying to get some in-put, you know some of us first timers look for instant gratifacation,but i'll continue to mess with it. thanx Jeff

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
That's not bad Jeff. I would just leave the engine alone and start working to make the car more efficient and I would bet enough time spent on the car, it would go MID 11's, engine like it is.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Jeff Griffin said:
I have a 355c.i. motor 13.1 comp. hydraulic roller cam, since my power range is up to 6500 r.p.m.
With a .842" lifter and if the engine is 13:1, I would be VERY WORRIED about getting enough spring pressure to over come the cranking compression this engine *should* have with a hyd roller. My guess is that it is in valve float before you feel it and that is limiting the performance a fair amount. For a nice engine like this a solid flat tappet cam set up for HOT lash between .010" to .014" is what I'd recommend. Once the valve train has seated you will NOT have to monkey with lash more than once (maybe twice) per year.

113mph from a Nova with a hyd roller is pretty bad a$$!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Jeff I thought I would tell you about a real simple combo I had and it was great . It was a 406 sbc in a 3600 lbs 80 camaro with T tops .The 406 had 30 over flat tops 5.7 rod, dart sportsmans (open chamber) 202 -160 valves, team G intake 750 Holley with the horn milled and blended .Comp 306s solid cam .this car would run consistent 11.5'S with a 1.5 60 ft . on spray it ran a 10.5 with a 125 shot . The car was fun and ran on 94 octane pump gas . Nothing special .Very inexpensive .

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Jeff Griffin said:
effienct as far as? suspension..??help

Yes... I would concentrate on things like converter, transmission, shocks, rear suspension geometry, front suspension.... TONS can be had in that department and the car will improve dramatically without even touching the engine.... that way if you decide to start messing around with the engine down the road the car itself will be very responsive to the changes...

Folks spend WAY TOO MUCH TIME applying all their attention to the engine.... Go watch a NHRA Stocker run in the 10's with a stock engine and that is the result of the car, being a very efficient package.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
85Camaro said:
It's almost racing time Jeff, April first we will see what we can do with it
yeah i know,just wanted to get some input from chris i don't have deep pockets like beebe,gotta get the most otta this combo for a while,got to do the kitchen/bath update for the misses.but i'm looking for an open trailer for sale so if ya see one let me know. Jeff

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx Chris hope to meet ya at the track one day,didn't you use to live in westland area?think i met ya once at the city dump site.. maybe

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Jeff Griffin said:
yeah i know,just wanted to get some input from chris i don't have deep pockets like beebe,gotta get the most otta this combo for a while,got to do the kitchen/bath update for the misses.but i'm looking for an open trailer for sale so if ya see one let me know. Jeff
Beebe Doesn't have deep pockets, he's been digging in mine :-D

Or A oh chit that didn't come out right, you know what I mean :( !!!

I'll keep my eye out for ya ;) I agree with Chris, there is alot left in the chassis and suspention just needs track time now to figure things out.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Heck I dont remember,,,what was your car 60 ftn' at ?? I know I saw the timeslips......wasnt it in the low 1.6's ?? We're gonna check your valve springs too, how does Sat sound ???..............................GD

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
Yeah I used to live in the sub behind blackwell ford over there... Farmington rd and Ford road... or basically venoy and ford.

Man you got a better memory than me.... I seem to recall something about meeting someone at the dump onetime though...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris Uratchko said:
Yeah I used to live in the sub behind blackwell ford over there... Farmington rd and Ford road... or basically venoy and ford.

Man you got a better memory than me.... I seem to recall something about meeting someone at the dump onetime though...
now you see what kind of buget i'm on,working for the city lol.. i remember questioning the sticker on your truck.. then it all came together.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I'm running a similar combo
355 cid / 350TH, 10" TCI, 4.10 posi 10x28" slicks in a 71 Camaro
Crane #841 powermax HR cam
11:1 comp
Canfield 197cc heads
1.75 hedman hedders
slapperbars, 6-point subframe conn.
Nothing fancy at all and knock off

11.36 @ 117