Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing over to an F2 Procharger. I ran a D1SC before and during this change I decided to have the bearings and rings checked before it goes back together. I have 1500 miles on the motor. My engine builder told me the bearings looked great but the 4 inside cylinders got hot. He explained the rings were "burnt" or somethng to that effect. So that's cylinders 3,5 and 4,6. I asked about a possible lean condition and he said he didn't think so because the pistons did not indicate that. He said it looked like an overheated issue. It doesn't make sense for the outside to be OK and the inside cylinders to do that. What's up? I am running a 400 SBC Dart block with AFR heads and EFI. I never saw the car get hot.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I am in the process of changing over to an F2 Procharger. I ran a D1SC before and during this change I decided to have the bearings and rings checked before it goes back together. I have 1500 miles on the motor. My engine builder told me the bearings looked great but the 4 inside cylinders got hot. He explained the rings were "burnt" or somethng to that effect. So that's cylinders 3,5 and 4,6. I asked about a possible lean condition and he said he didn't think so because the pistons did not indicate that. He said it looked like an overheated issue. It doesn't make sense for the outside to be OK and the inside cylinders to do that. What's up? I am running a 400 SBC Dart block with AFR heads and EFI. I never saw the car get hot.
Well usually you will burn the piston before the rings. It sounds like you have a bad set of rings that the moly flaked off or something. Pics of te rings would help. In a application like that you need a good top steel ring.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Did he mention running a couple lines from the center of each head to a low pressure to get more water flow to the center? I've seen some circle track builders do that. Did he even suggest anything to resolve it? RM

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did he mention running a couple lines from the center of each head to a low pressure to get more water flow to the center? I've seen some circle track builders do that. Did he even suggest anything to resolve it? RM
He did suggest running cooling lines to the center. We are in the early stages of finding the problem. I just knew there was alot of experience on YB so I thought I would give it a shot for suggestions. I'm headed over to see him this weekend. 2 hr's away. I'll try to get a couple pics of the rings for study.

·
Registered
761 Posts
do your heads have the "seam" holes in the center cyl's? you would be really suprised how many don't! on the street you need them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts