Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 3 times out with my blazer, the engine keeps breaking up and the aem a/f gauge shows it going fat while doing so. Engine is a 357 sbc, 10.2:1 flat tops, extreme energy 274 cam, rpm air gap intake, qft 750, 1" carb spacer, msd ignition, 91 and up octane. Engine does it around 4500-4800 rpm, then cleans up and runs right. End of last year it got new cap and rotor and msd coil, last week put new plug wires

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Almost sounds like there's a groundstrap closed up on a plug ....Go thru the plugs & wires again, maybe a wire is arcing off

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
make sure the engine is properly grounded. run grounds from both heads to the frame. this solved a similar problem I was having. Engine would miss intermittently at around peak torque, then clean up some. an old wise man told me it wasnt grounded well enough even though I was using solid mounts. 2 simple wires from heads to frame totally solved it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's grounded with a jpegs ground strap from 1 head to frame. Other side has a turnbuckle and chain from head to frame. I went threw plug wires 2 times.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
With front and rear motor plates, are ground straps still needed for the heads?
Alluminum is not a very good conductor .... If the mid plate is a steel one, I'd say you're good and perhaps another strap off the front

·
Registered
331 Posts
They are aluminum plates. Might as well try that next. Tried just about everything else short of changing the box and it's replacement is on the way.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
If you have an ignition miss fire AF will go lean on the bank with miss. If it's going rich you have too much fuel.

·
Registered
25,414 Posts
Alluminum is not a very good conductor .... If the mid plate is a steel one, I'd say you're good and perhaps another strap off the front
?? Aluminum is not "as good" as copper as a conductor. However it is much better than steel/iron. Aluminum has been , and still used for wire in many instances. When was the last time anyone used steel or iron for electrical wires?:confused:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts