Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting more intimate with auto transmissions than I want to. Lol

Working on a TH400.

I made the mistake of not checking it before I took apart so I'm not sure what it was before. I checked it with a dial indiacator and it's .042. Best I can tell rear is a few thousands.

Everything is back in it and in the proper places. I used a manual.

Does this need to be tightened up? I'm sure it was like this before. I didn't build the trans originally.

If I do shim it do I shim between forward drum and direct? Or do I shim under he Torrington that sits on the sun gear? What do I shim with? Will a thrust kit come with different thickness shims? Never have done this before. I know I don't want to get too much under the pump for fear of pulling off of the seals.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like thickest is .117. This won't cause any issues will it?

That will cut my play roughly in half

Where can I buy a bearing to go in between the forward and direct? This would replace the thrust washer that is currently there? Bearing is thicker or do you add shims to it to get what you need?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never mind the bearing question. It looks like it requires machining. Out of my league and looks like unnecessary for my application.

Looks like a thicker washer it it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok what's the "proper" way to fix this and then how will I be able too without a shit ton of work. Had to be this way when I got it. It only has @3 miles on it but I don't want to be back in it again next week either cause I didn't fix it

Maybe that's why the place that built it left it like this cause they couldn't fix it or didn't want to. Lol

Or is the front thrust not that critical?

·
Registered
608 Posts
the .117 thick washer is a common used washer that I have used for decades. Never had a problem with sealing rings at the pump. If that washer brings the end play into a spec and all else inside the trans assembly was setup correctly. Run it

·
Super Moderator
20,189 Posts
Our max washer thickness is. 094" . You can check for intermediate shaft erosion where the ledge meets the front hub and where it meets the ring gear.
If that goes well, you can install a bearing between the hub and direct clutch drum, machine to fit. If that is too much, you can install a thicker washer available through Sonnax at the hub to fwd drum location. The last alternative is to use a torrington hardened bearing race which come in. 030" increments between the hub and fwd drum.

Hutch

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our max washer thickness is. 094" . You can check for intermediate shaft erosion where the ledge meets the front hub and where it meets the ring gear.
If that goes well, you can install a bearing between the hub and direct clutch drum, machine to fit. If that is too much, you can install a thicker washer available through Sonnax at the hub to fwd drum location. The last alternative is to use a torrington hardened bearing race which come in. 030" increments between the hub and fwd drum.

Hutch

Thanks Hutch. I've scrounged a TH400 from a buddy that I can rob parts from. Is there a measurement for the intermediate shaft or is it just a visual thing?

I think for me the Sonnex washer would prob be the easiest if the other shaft isn't any better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.