Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a small block chevy with a 6-71 enderlie bug catcher with the square type barrel valve. This thing is unresponsive to pill changes. I have went from a 60 pill all the way down to a 30 and nothing changes, not my mph, e.t. or egts. I have talked to JR at RbS and he sent me some bigger nozzels. I tried them and its still the same thing no change. I have zip tied my shut off valve so I know its staying open. I have a 1 gal. surge tank gravity feeding my fuel pump. It has 3 #6 vents. Has any body else run in to this What am I missing? I will be talking to RBS next week they have great customer service.

80-1a pump
#46 nozzels now 52s
#12 line feeding pump from surge tank
shut off is directly on top of pump
# 8 from shut off to barrel valve
no high speed bypass
All stuff is new from RBS less than 20 passes

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Yeah, unless the nozzles/jets are flowed... It's a big guessing game. If it was all flowed, I could get you a safe tune.

I'd need to know the following:

1. CID
2. Blower Size (std or hi-helix)
3. Overdrive
4. Shift RPM
5. Compression Ratio
6. Actual GPM of Pump
7. Actual Flow of Nozzles

With that, I can tell you what pill to run to get a safe tune with a 3:1 A/F ratio.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I just ran the numbers, making some assumptions...

1. 400
2. 6-71 Std Helix
3. 1:1
4. 7000
5. 9.5:1
6. 7.00
7. .046

Using those numbers, your fuel pump is too small... If you were to even use that pump, you'd need no bigger than a .020 jet in the hat.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought all this stuff new from Rbs, whether they flow it or not I dont know ,,according to their website my pump flows 7 gpm ,they se t the barrel valve at 60% I havent touched it. the nozzels I got just had 52 stamped on them they did not have any paper work so the are probably not flowed. JR said this thing should be super fat with the 52 nozzels and a 55 pill. I had a 30 pill in it and it was super lean.
1. 408 inches
2. bds stage 3 671 std.
3. 10% over 12lbs.
4. 7200 rpm
5. 10-1
6. ?
7. ?

It wasn,t any leaner with the 55 pill than it was with the 30
maybe my pump is maxed out or thers something wrong with it?
sorry for all the dumb ?s and lack of info Im new to the injection.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Yeah, you're pump is WAY too small for that combo. I just ran the numbers, and you need at LEAST a 10.2 GPM pump to have 1/3 excess fuel volume for adequate pressure.

If you under drive the blower, to .9:1 (swap the pullies), your current pump will work.

With it 10% under driven, .046 nozzles, and that pump, with air of 85F, 40% humidity, and 29.6 Barometric pressure, using a .050 jet should be pretty close (read safe).

If you want to up the boost, you need an Enderle 760 (11.4 gpm) or 110 pump (~13 GPM). Personally, I'd do the 110 pump, and if it's too big, put a pump sizer on it (nothing more than a high speed with a low pressure spring to continually recycle fuel and make the pump seem smaller than it is).

As for the nozzles/jets... Well, if they're not flowed, you're just going to be pulling your pud for the most part. The Enderle stuff is nowhere near close.

Dragparts sells both regular and flowed nozzles/jets:
http://www.goodvibesracing.com/Nozzle_Jets.htm
I don't see the flowed jets on their site, but I know they sell them. Just call them up. Jim and crew are good people.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Almost forgot.

As for setting the barrel valve. Fire it up with the barrel valve fat enough to be surging. Start leaning the BV down a flat at a time until the surging stops. Put someone behind the wheel with it in gear, and again, adjust it to where it just stops surging.

If it blows the tires off, add a flat or two back into the barrel valve to fatten it up and make it a little lazier.

You'll need to readjust the BV for changing weather conditions to keep it 'right'.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I bought all this stuff new from Rbs, whether they flow it or not I dont know ,,according to their website my pump flows 7 gpm ,they se t the barrel valve at 60% I havent touched it. the nozzels I got just had 52 stamped on them they did not have any paper work so the are probably not flowed. JR said this thing should be super fat with the 52 nozzels and a 55 pill. I had a 30 pill in it and it was super lean.
1. 408 inches
2. bds stage 3 671 std.
3. 10% over 12lbs.
4. 7200 rpm
5. 10-1
6. ?
7. ?

It wasn,t any leaner with the 55 pill than it was with the 30
maybe my pump is maxed out or thers something wrong with it?
sorry for all the dumb ?s and lack of info Im new to the injection.
btw... Smaller pill = fatter, larger pill = leaner.

It's the opposite of carbs.

Your issue isn't nozzle size or jet... It's that the pump is too small. You could put a blank jet in it, and with it 10% OD, it'd still be lean.

Larger nozzles will reduce fuel pressure... I'd run a flowed set of the .046 nozzles.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts

·
Registered
15,981 Posts
Hey Fast46pu,

One other thing to look at when a jet change is innefective is to make sure you do not have any restriction in your return line, if your return line is too small, kinked or it is plumbed into the fuel line incorrectly then the return line sets up the flow restriction not the pill causing the pill to have little if any effect.

Of course the line being restricted would cause the motor to be fat and unresponsive to tuning, not lean and unresponsive to tuning, just throwing it out there incase after the pump change or on another car you have the problem again.

Richard Gavle

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info ,I will be calling RBS tommorrow Im sure they have all the same calculators you all do so I dont know why they would set me up with the wrong stuff. Hopefully they will take care of me and trade me out a larger used pump for mine and get me going.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts