Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Ford Expedition that I use to tow my Mustang with, I have an open pit 18ft trailer but was thinking of upgrading to a 20 ft enclosed...Can my truck tow it? On paper it should be fine as my car is only 2,500 lbs, but just thinkin about the aerodynamics of an enclosed...My Expedition has a 4.6 V8 and tows my open pit trailer just fine, I even use overdrive the whole way... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
I tow my 24' enclosed, but with a 2006 Expedition with the 5.4. Get the sway and distribution bars and be careful. Just did the 8 hour trip to SGMP.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Can your truck do It? Yeah probably.
Would I do It? absolutely not!
I would be hesitant to do It with a half ton truck with a large gas motor.

Just my .02 cents

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
You'll be fine. I've towed alot more with alot less.

Just as others have stated: Weight distributing hitch an a sway control.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
I think you may have a better shot than me. Mine is independent rear suspension. I think the earlier Expeditions are full axle. You can beef the rear suspension up easier. Mine is a little low in the back, but works fine.

·
Registered
13,344 Posts
Get ready to give up some $$$ on fuel. Dragging that billboard around sure killed my mileage.

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
I occasionally used to tow a fully decked out enclosed 20' with a 3700 lb car in it with a 1998 4 wheel drive Expedition with a 5.4 and factory tow package with no problems at all. The trailer obviously had 4 wheel brakes and I used a weight distribution hitch with the sway bars.

·
Gettin' tired of the shit
23,424 Posts
The only problem I see is the 4.6, the 5.4 is much better. I also had a 2001 F150 2 wheel drive supercrew with a 5.4 and factory tow package, this is what I towed with 99% of the time and it worked great. I know have a 2008 F250 diesel but I think you'll be happy with how your truck tows the enclosed because your car doesn't weigh anything. :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I think I'll give it a shot...I have the weight distribution bars...just would need the sway bar...Oh yeah still got to get an enclosed trailer too LOL...Gonna sell my open pit and roll a few coins
If you have any problems due to short wheelbase, here's something I
looked into and bought. I'm pulling a 32 ft triple axle trailer with a 2500 Suburban with stock springs. I had to move it a few ft once and tried my wife's Tahoe, my trailer dropped the back of the Tahoe to bottoming on the springs. Hensley Arrow hitch. http://hensleymfg.com/?gclid=COCEOPHxjqwCFeQ65QodLB11nQ

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
pulling the trailer usually isnt the problem- stopping the trailer is more of a concern when you tow more with less imo

good luck and drive slow

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
back in 99 i used to tow a 24 footer, with an all steel cuda, it had the 4.6 also. it did well, but you need the load levelers and sway bars, and gas mileage sucks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again guys :)...One of my main reasons for an enclosed is it will also provide waterproof storage for my car, plus if I store it there I won't have to load up the trailer every time I go up...I may even consider an 18 footer,wouldn't want to go any smaller than that...

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
you never want to go smaller, go as big as you can afford once....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts