Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 28' enclosed trailer. it was manufactured in 2000. im going to redo the floor in it. i was looking at the trailer frame and cross braces for the floor. i am wondering since i will have the floor all tore apart what would be a good idea to reinforce it maybe or add into the structure or do anything at all?

the main frame is 6" I-beam. the purlins (?) going between the I-beams are 3" c-channel.. prob 16ga? The purlins are spaced 24" apart. one of the 3" c-channels has broken loose and needs to be rewelded. It looks like it has been welded a couple of times.

i have access to a shear and break at work, i can shear/bend up to 16ga.

ty
dean

·
Registered
876 Posts
Depends how much weight your going to haul. Where I used to work we put the cross beams at 12" on center. We used what they called junior I beams.(Approx 12ga material) I would add some at 16" centers then you woun't have to worry about it, since one had broken already. That tells me there are more that might be ready to break. Better check all of them for cracks. Thats my 2c worth

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
i would add "C" channel every other gap. (making it 16 on center) or there abouts.
3/4 ply wood floor, and if you have a chance to spend the couple extra bucks go marine grade

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was going to use 3/4" pressure treated but the boss has a some gacodeck left over from a job that i can have. ill have to use non pressure treated wood with that.

im leaning to using t&g 3/4" but will look at the marine grade. will seal the bottom of it with a few coats of paint.

thanks for the replys on the c channels. ill add some more in and check the welds.

is it worth it to put a spare tire in the floor or just have it float around? what about plumbing air through the bottom and stub out one in back and by the door?

ty
dean

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have owned since 1985. Full 6" c-chanel, POR=15 frame, 2" pressure treated floor with 3/4 pressure treated over that. 2600 #. Great trailer.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
i just replaced the floor in my trailer. thought it was going to be a chore, but turned out to be pretty simple.
make sure you use hardened steel fasteners and if you use treated plywood, make sure your screws have a coating on them. also make sure the screws have wings, this keeps from grapping and pulling up the wood. the wings eat out the wood and break off when they hit the metal. i didnt break one single screw, and only stripped out the beams on a few.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts