Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those who have had both a v-nose and conventional style front end on their enclosed trailers, did you notice any differnce in fuel milage?

a guy in our compex at work built a V-nose for his enclosed trailer. im thinking about doing the same for mine. fig it it will help out a little bit, why not. His V-nose addition goes from just behind the hitch to both corners of the enclosed trailer.

ty
dean

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dont be a smart ass, everyone is concerned about concerving money; unless they got your money then they would burn it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it appears the biggest factor with fuel milage would be the drag caused by the flat area on the back of the trialer more so then the flat front. some other information i have been reading states if you could create a spoiler on the back of the trailer that it would do more for mpg and ease of towing over a v-nose front.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
IMO you are overthinking something that isn't worth the time, effort, and expense trying to reinvent trailer aero. Unless you are traveling full time towing I'm not convinced it's worth getting worked up over. There was a long thread recently discussing the same thing and the general consensus was that there's little if any difference towing between V nose trailers and non V nose enclosed trailers. With our racing, towing to the races is one of the least expenses in the big picture of things.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
dont be a smart ass, everyone is concerned about concerving money; unless they got your money then they would burn it.
Sorry not trying to be one. I just don't think you'll see enough of an improvement to justify the expense and time. The only thing we ever did that made a difference was use an aero wing on the dually. It may have helped a 1-2mpg (maybe) but it really just cut down on the surging from winds while towing.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
With our racing, towing to the races is one of the least expenses in the big picture of things.
If you take out the car or depreciation on the trailer, diesel is the single biggest expense item in our racing budget. Bigger than entry fees, fuel, oil, tires, parts, food, hotel. Boise, Spokane, Medford, none less than a 6 hour tow costing hundreds of dollars each way.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Just another data point, I have a tall camper on my dually usually, and saw exactly zero difference between towing my flat-nose trailer vs a friend's v-nose trailer, both at about the same weight. Without the camper there would have probably been a difference though...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I pull a gooseneck with 2 ft extra height over the L/Q area. I looked into a spoiler for my truck roof. Checked out several makes. Finally I spoke with a friend of a friend who is a aero space engineer dealing with aerodynamics. Bottom line was for me it would help a little having a wind deflector but would take a long time to pay for itself. Also he stated that it would need to be as wide as the trailer to do any good. The ones on the market didn't even come close. Long story short I eat the cost of fuel.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I pull a gooseneck with 2 ft extra height over the L/Q area. I looked into a spoiler for my truck roof. Checked out several makes. Finally I spoke with a friend of a friend who is a aero space engineer dealing with aerodynamics. Bottom line was for me it would help a little having a wind deflector but would take a long time to pay for itself. Also he stated that it would need to be as wide as the trailer to do any good. The ones on the market didn't even come close. Long story short I eat the cost of fuel.
I bought one for my truck and it helped about 1 1/2 to 2 MPG but it also keeps bugs off the ft of the trailer.....

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Filling the tanks of my toterhome is my biggest expense. I tow a 42 foot enclosed trailer with two '66 Novas in it and go all over the country. I get about 10 mpg right now, would love to get another 1 or 2 mpg.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I take my time cruising to/from the track at 58-62 mph at 13 mpg vs. 70-75 mph at 10 mpg. It's a no-brainer for this tight old bastard.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Trailer tires seem to be more prone to failure at 70-75 mph. So tire wise and fuel economy 58-62 makes sense.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Trailer tires seem to be more prone to failure at 70-75 mph. So tire wise and fuel economy 58-62 makes sense.
I think it depends on trailer/truck setup. I get 10-12mpg going 70-75mpg if I go 60-65mpg I get 8-10mpg with a triple axle 40 ft gooseneck. My old 28ft bumper pull was the opposite though, I got better mpg at 60-65mpg.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
M2500HD (gas) and 28 ft gets 10 roughly at 60/65 and the few times I did 72/75, it was 8/8.5. Made my mind up....

I have a reg height camper shell, and I think any kind of deflector on top of shell, has to be a benefit, to get air wall up and over the taller front of trailer. If it's only 1 or 1.5 , it will be a plus pretty soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts