Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This jet flew over us at the park where we fly model airplanes yesterday and we watched it for a good 10 minutes. My friend brought it to my attention by saying check out the vapor trails. I said those are not vapor trails. That's a fuel dump and that jet's in trouble. On the news the rest of the day all they can say is how the children in the schools had irritated eyes from the fuel. Nothing about the hundred and fifty plus passengers crapping themselves prior to the emergency landing with one of the two engines shut down. This was a flight from Los Angeles to China and luckily the problem happened shortly after takeoff so the pilot was able to circle around for a safe landing. But what bothers me is the constant boo hoo about some irritated eyes with absolutely no mention of the passengers or the landing. And the claim dozens of children "injured"? Calm down! LOL. I can't believe the big news/headline was "plane dumps fuel on schools". Like the pilot had a fucking choice. IDIOTS!!
20200114_183300.jpg

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All we heard on the right coast was the kids had irritated skin.
Nothing about a jet in distress.
Interviews with some of the kids showed it wasn't bad at all. I'll turn on the news in a minute and see if anything is even mentioned about the passengers and the landing. But yeah, some sort of compressor failure after takeoff had the pilot shut down one on the 2 jet engines. Could you imagine that shit half way to China over the ocean, and being a passenger?

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,424 Posts
Isn't there enough WATER around to perform a fuel dump over?...
It's happened numerous times here................................and I've never heard of people being doused!... :mad:

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
25,080 Posts
Passengers uninjured...…..School kids crying from jet fuel sprayed over them.

what story is the news supposed to go with?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Interviews with some of the kids showed it wasn't bad at all. I'll turn on the news in a minute and see if anything is even mentioned about the passengers and the landing. But yeah, some sort of compressor failure after takeoff had the pilot shut down one on the 2 jet engines. Could you imagine that shit half way to China over the ocean, and being a passenger?
Yeah, hell no!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
We flew out of Reno years back and the plane lost cabin pressure half way across Nevada. The plane turned around, dropped altitude, and dumped fuel over the desert. I had a wing seat and watched fuel spraying from the wing tips like fire hoses. I thought this was the end.

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't there enough WATER around to perform a fuel dump over?...
It's happened numerous times here................................and I've never heard of people being doused!... :mad:
My guess, those involved decided to get that thing on the ground as quickly as possible and not fly circles around the Pacific dumping fuel. I'm sure there were reasons. I know if I were a passenger and heard a loud bang from one of the jet engines shortly after takeoff I'd rather get back to the runway fast and not circle around with one engine dead! Hell, if I had a nickel for every time I got some irritating shit in my eyes..............................LOL

·
Aviation Section
23,916 Posts
IF the Pilot said his intentions to ATC to dump he would have been directed to an area where it was safe to do so, LIKE OVER THE OCEAN! He must not have told ATC about the dump and did it over populated areas on his own and should be back in another Ground School and given some days off.

These days we don't dump anymore because fuel is too expensive, we just land over weight and do the inspections to the aircraft.

Dave

·
Registered
145 Posts
The real head banger out of all this is just how is going to spun into Trumps fault ?
When the stock market goes up, the current President takes responsibility. When a pilot attacks innocent children by spraying them with potentially deadly chemicals, then it's his fault as well. The math checks out. The only solution is to build walls high enough to keep the planes away from the innocent children of this great nation of ours. And if he can't do the job, hopefully the Russians will pick someone better next time that can get it done.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
IF the Pilot said his intentions to ATC to dump he would have been directed to an area where it was safe to do so, LIKE OVER THE OCEAN! He must not have told ATC about the dump and did it over populated areas on his own and should be back in another Ground School and given some days off.

These days we don't dump anymore because fuel is too expensive, we just land over weight and do the inspections to the aircraft.

Dave
With it being only a two engine plane... and being FULL of fuel to fly across the ocean (heavy)... maybe he didn't have a choice? Losing one of four engines wouldn't be that bad, but losing one of only two, and FULLY loaded with passengers and fuel might be a different story. Maybe the pilot was relatively new, and wasn't comfortable flying like that with only one engine... and needed all the help he could get?

·
Smuck
3,972 Posts
Compressor stall

A Delta Airlines Boeing 777-200, registration N860DA performing flight DL-89 from Los Angeles,CA (USA) to Shanghai Pudong (China) with 181 people on board, was climbing out of Los Angeles' runway 24L when the crew stopped the climb at 8000 feet reporting right hand engine (Trent 892) compressor stalls, they needed to return to LAX. The crew subsequently advised they had brought the engine back under control, just needed to slow and requested to land on runway 25R. The aircraft was vectored for an ILS approach to runway 25R, emergency services went into their standby position. The crew did not request fuel dump. The aircraft landed safely on runway 25R about 25 minutes after departure. The aircraft vacated the runway.

The Los Angeles Fire Department reported as result of the emergency landing they needed to respond to the Park Avenue Elementary School, located about 10nm short of the runway, with more than 70 fire fighters are reported of some liquid raining down onto the school playground, where two classes were outdoors. The liquid smelled like jet fuel. The fire fighters checked 17 children and 9 adults, none needed to be taken to a hospital.

The airline reported the aircraft performed an emergency fuel dump to reduce landing weight.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts